Thread: Wixey planer gauge - battery mod?

Wixey planer gauge - battery mod?

I'm about to run out for some more SR44 batteries for my Wixey planer gauge. I absolutely love the functionality of this gadget (OK, I'll admit to a bit of a digital measurement fetish). The battery life, however, is a limitation.

The instructions, as well as my experience, predict a 6 months battery life. If I were using the planer every day, I wouldn't gripe. But it's 6 months whether the gauge is on or off. Being a hobbyist with very occasional shop time <insert usual sob story here >, I get very little actual use out of a battery, and chances are, by the next time I use the planer, it'll be dead again.

Sure, I could remove the battery when not in use and recalibrate each time. But I think this might be a better idea: There's no good reason that I can see why the gauge has to use a mini battery. It's attached to a 60 lb planer, so portability is hardly an issue! It would be a simple mod to solder in a pair of wires to an external single-cell holder. An AA battery ought to last for years. A D cell would probably be a lifetime investment.

I'll try to bounce this idea off Mr. Wixey, but does anyone else have any ideas on whether this is a good / bad / stupid / brilliant plan?

Blog Entries
    I don't know about modifying the power source but since I bought the higher mah version of the SR-44 (there were 3 levels at Walgreen's) for only about 50 cents more than the 'standard' battery. It has outlived two of the ones Wixey sent me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

As long as the voltage is the same it should make no difference on the capacity of the battery.

You could even get a transformer from Radio Shack of the same voltage and it would never have to be changed.

If you do it, please post a write up!

Thanks

I'm thinking about putting a power supply on my Digi unit on the J/P for the same reason...the battery still gets consumed over time, even when the unit is not in use. Just a trickle, but that's all it takes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like the Wixey but do not love it

Kent,

Good luck. Please take pictures and post them to document the process. I have the same experience as you. My gauge sits dead as we speak. The Wixey draws far more power than any of my other digital scales. I have a few other qualms about the Wixey gauge: I think the resolution has been dumbed down too far. 0.005" is too rough. I think 0.002" would be better. I also have to be careful because there is a fair amount of friction in the mechanism and it doesn't always track down after it has been raised. I like the Wixey but I think his idea is better than the execution.

I think that an AG-13 will also work. Dollar Tree often has a card of eight for a buck. Check up by the cash registers. My digital calipers from HF, along with a couple of timers use these batteries. I did a Google of SR-44 batteries and the AG-13 is the same battery, in most applications. Also in my search, I found a vendor who would sell me ten for $6.99 + shipping. I think I like eight for a buck better. Be aware that Dollar Tree doesn't always stock them.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 09-15-2007 at 10:39 PM.

Excellent thread and I'll be interested in finding a solution to my own planer battery digital readout problem.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Do an EBAY saearch on AG-13 and you will get several hits that have good prices. I have used some of these with good resullts.

CPeter

For those of you who are seriously cheap like I am You might find this site interesting as far as small batteries are concerned.

http://www.wisebread.com/the-40-hidd...-a-12v-battery

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    As long as the voltage is the same it should make no difference on the capacity of the battery.

You could even get a transformer from Radio Shack of the same voltage and it would never have to be changed.
    Not a transformer. A transformer produces AC voltage.
    You need a "wall wart" that converts AC down to the proper level of DC voltage, then filters it and possibly regulates it

I get 5 batteries for a dollar at the Dollar Store, so I don't have to play games with the batteries. If you're frugal , then just remove the battery after use.

There are a lot of batteries that will work:
    SR44, AG13, LR44, 357, 303, EPX76, A76.
    The SRs are silver oxide and some of the other are akaline.
    The SRs are supposed to have 50% higher power density (and 3% more voltage).
    But if you can get any at a dollar store that's the best deal.
    They are usually fresh.
    I have purchased SRs at swapmeets that didn't last very long.
    They were imports and who knows how long they sat around or how they were stored?

Regarding using a AA or AAA akaline, I have made some clocks for kids at Xmas that ran off of vinegar. I got cheap clocks at the dollar store and modified them to bring the leads out to the vinegar tanks.
    Most of them I took appart and soldered the wires directly to the circuit board and brought the wires out through a hold drilled in the battery cover. I wouldn't recommend that for a Wixey due to the cost.
    The other method I used is to make a spacer the same size as the battery from two brass washers and a wood separator. The wires were soldered to the washers and brought out through a hole in the battery cover. You can get a single battery holder at Radio Shack and a lot of other electronics suppliers.

Personally, I wouldn't bother if I could get a pack of batteries for a buck.
    Here's a place that has some choices if you are not near a dollar store:
    http://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com/...button-coin-sp
    Key in one of the numbers (SR44, AG13, LR44, 357, 303, EPX76, A76) in the Search box.