Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Byron....if it's extremely hot and humid and you are running the air conditioner, it's possible that humidy could condense on the outside of the window. The windows not staying up, however, is a problem. JMHO....
    Ken, you are right on both counts. The Gorell rep will be here at 3:30 next Tuesday to determine why the windows won't stay up.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Blog Entries

Sweating is normal!

Having moisture on the outside of the glass on a cool morning is normal, ours have it from time to time. Moisture between the glass is not normal. Moisture on the inside when the windows are closed is also not normal.

The windows should stay where they are left when opened. On our windows (Great Lakes) there are lifts on both sides of the windows. When you tip the window out and remove the window, the tipping action locks both of these lifiing devices where they are. Sometimes when you tip out the window and don't get the tab on the sides of the window pane engaged properly with the slot in the lift support the lift support does not engage and stays locked in the down position. If only one lift device is trying to hold open the window, it will probably move.

On the windows that don't stay up, lift the window all the way up, then look in the bottom of the track in the window frame for the lifting device. If you see it, it isn't working to hold the window. You will need to put the window down and get the tab on the side of the window to engage on both sides in both lifting devices. You may even have to release the latch with a screw driver and slide it up a bit so it will engage. (Warning, the lifting devices are spring loaded, so be careful work with them, make sur e it is locked before you let go.) Both should go up and down with the window.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Byron,

I work at a business that sells lots of windows from several differant manufactures. We do get calls for repair on windows from time to time. Unfortunately, we've spoiled our contractors and most of the time we work the claim ourselves. If I had to give an educated guess as to what the problem is I would venture to say they installed the wrong Balance Coil Spring in you window. One line of windows we carry had probably 3 differant springs depending on the style of window. The same company carries a double strength glass so you can imagine the need for a stronger and more tension spring. It has happened, but very rarely, the wrong spring was installed by the window manufacture for the wrong series of windows. If this is the case with your windows, it should be very easy, and relatively quickly for them to fix...

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT ELLIS View Post
    Byron,

I work at a business that sells lots of windows from several differant manufactures. We do get calls for repair on windows from time to time. Unfortunately, we've spoiled our contractors and most of the time we work the claim ourselves. If I had to give an educated guess as to what the problem is I would venture to say they installed the wrong Balance Coil Spring in you window. One line of windows we carry had probably 3 differant springs depending on the style of window. The same company carries a double strength glass so you can imagine the need for a stronger and more tension spring. It has happened, but very rarely, the wrong spring was installed by the window manufacture for the wrong series of windows. If this is the case with your windows, it should be very easy, and relatively quickly for them to fix...

Robert
    Robert,
    Thanks for your input. This is the kind of information I need to be armed with when the Gorell rep is here next Tuesday. I have great expectations that this problem will be solved.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Thumbs up They ARE FIXED!!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERT ELLIS View Post
    Byron,

Robert

Gorell just left. Turns out you were right on the problem. There are two tiny (4/40) set screws in the spring coil assembly that weren't installed. They had a few of them with them and now I need a floor jack to raise the window! They are comming back to install all the rest.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Ah...the not so rare but still deadly, "missing screw" problem...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ah...the not so rare but still deadly, "missing screw" problem...
    Anyone ever tell you, you are a nut!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham View Post
    Anyone ever tell you, you are a nut!

Sometimes I feel like one...sometimes I are one...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...