Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Info from Rikon / Grizzly BS owners

Need Info from Rikon / Grizzly BS owners

I have searched the Creek and spent a lot of time researching bandsaws. I have even PM'd some creekers but am still wavering.
    I had narrowed down my bandsaw choice to the Rikon 10-325 Deluxe 14" bandsaw and the Grizzly GO55X was a close second choice. The Rikon was Editors choice in Woodworkers Journal but got some bad marks in Fine Woodworking for difficulty in changing blades and adjusting the blade guides.

For Rikon owners,
    1. How long does it take to change blades and how difficult do you rate it?
    2. How hard is it to set the blade guides?
    3. What is the benefit of running with 220 volts

It's like I picked out a prom date only to learn she had a bad rep, still really like her but not sure what to do.

To compound matters, when I went to the Grizzly site today to compare something, they have the GO513 17" on sale for $695 which is $55 less than the 14" Rikon. It has one inch less resaw but 1/2 horse additional in the motor department. I like the idea of not messing with the riser block and at that price it is only $40 more then the 1 1/2 horse GO555X plus the riser block.

I will use the BS primarily to cut bowl blanks for the lathe but would probably do some resawing for small boxes.

Freight is comparable on both. The Grizzly sale is only good through the 23rd of September so I need to act fast if that is my choice.

As always,
    Thanks for your help,

Doug
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

If you run the Rikon on a dedicated 110 circuit, there is no advantage in going to 220. However, if you run it on a 110 circuit with other devices (lights, outlets feeding appliances or tools), you will lose some power to the saw. A dedicated 110 circuit or a dedicated 220 circuit, as long as you have the proper size wiring, will give the same performance. The subject has been discussed on approximately 2.7 million thread on WoodNet.

Both the Grizzly 0555 and the Rikon deluxe 14" get very good reviews in the magazines. I have an older Grizzly (1019Z) with a riser block. That would make me lean toward the Rikon, with large capacity with no riser. The block can cause the alignment to be a bit fiddly.

I have examined the Rikon carefully at the Rikon parts store in Woburn, MA. I like the more powerful motor and the larger table. If I were buying, I would get the Rikon. But I would also consider the 17" Grizzly over both the other saws, if I had a larger shop to work in.

I don't think you would be making a mistake no matter which one you got.
    Last edited by Joe Spear; 09-17-2007 at 6:52 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

The Grizzly 0513 is a wonderful saw - you won't regret spending the extra $$

Blog Entries
    That FWW review confused me a bit. The review is not done by a group as most are where opinions are pooled so maybe that has something to do with it. A blade would have to be pretty obnoxious to change before I would pick a much more expensive tool that stalled during the tests(?).

The cut times were quite an eye opener however. I liked the opportunity to get a better idea of how fast some of these saws cut as I really had no reference before reading this review. I just knew my little C-man 12" was real slow re-sawing 6" high Beech ;-)

We have a few owners of each of those models here at the Creek. Maybe they can chime in with some pros and cons now that they've got some time on the saws.

P.s. I was sold on the Rikon but picked up the 17" Grizzly. Go figger.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-17-2007 at 8:39 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'd go with the G0513. Your going to need the extra horse power for those wet bowl blanks. I've had one for several years now with no issues or problems.
    Rob

Doug,

The Steel City 14" BS is two speeds, 1-1/2hp, and is currently $699.99 plus $72.00 freight, less a $75.00 mail-in rebate through March 31, 2008.
    Take a look at the specs here and see if it compares with either of your other choices. http://pro.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FU...ARTNUM=050-100. You might be better off with the SC machine.

Nancy (95 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I have the rikon and love it. It seems to be a real workhorse.
    I do a lot of resawing of hard maple, white oak, walnut & cherry from 6 - 12 inches and it's great with a 3/4 blade.
    My partner does a lot of chunking out large stuff for the lathe. He's rather rough on tools. He has changed the blade, and doesn't seem to mind or be bothered.

Another vote for the G0513. It's been a great performer for me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Doug

This is my first BS so I'm not really sure if I am fast or slow. I don't think it takes me much over sixty seconds to change a blade and adjust tension on my Rikon. A couple more minutes to dial in the guides. If the Rikon has a weakness, I don't think blade change is it. I am running 110V. It hasn't tripped a breaker yet. I selected the Rikon for the resaw capacity it has.

I've had the G0513 for two years now and absolutely love it. I have a 3/4" blade on it and makes resawing a joy! I hadn't seen that price($695) but I would jump on it. I think I paid about that 2 years ago. I actually use that saw almost exclusively in my shop. My 3hp Grizz TS really doesn't get much use, sometimes I think I could just get rid of it and use only the BS.

I have the Grizzly g0555 and really like it but had the G0513 been available for that price there wouldn't have been a second thought.

Get the G0513. Without question.

I'm running my 14" Rikon Deluxe on 110v. I fully intended to rewire it for 220v but on a dedicated 20amp circuit no shortage of power or problems tripping breakers. I would say blade changes are much simplier on the Rikon than my Jet 14". The table slot is to the front and the blade, even a clumsy 3/4" slides in and out easily without having to twist it into the guides like you do with a side table blade slot.

I am very pleased with the Rikon and would buy it again. It is a dedicated resaw for my purposes.

Rikon

I have used both and purchased the Rikon. Nice big table and I like the slot in the front for blade changes. Both saws are very much alike in quality but I didn't want to deal with the issues of the riser block. I also didn't want to spend another $200 for the riser and fence putting it way over the cost of the Rikon.
    Good luck!

I have the Rikon and while I have to admit that I have not done allot with it yet, the blade changes are very simple compared to my old jet as well (as Jeffl said) also as ar as power it is ona shared 110 V circuit and I was resawing 8 inch wide Cocobola (with the stock blade) for some knife scales without a problem.

Hope this helps

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Dionne; 09-18-2007 at 12:44 PM.

I've got the larger Rikon 18" and it has the same set-up for blades and guides as the smaller 14". I would agree that it takes a few more minutes to set the blade guides, but once set it is a wonderful saw.

I especially appreciate Rikon's customer service. The original 2 HP motor had a bad bearing and it was replaced without question. In fact, they upgraded the new motor to 2½ HP in the process. Nice folks to deal with.