Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who sharpens your handsaws?

who sharpens your handsaws?

I cannot find anyone in my area that sharpens handsaws, I just refinished the handle on my ancient Disston, blade is in nice shape and it's going to make a nice saw once it's sharp. Those who do not have a local sharpener, where do you send them?

See Bob Smalser's tutorial on sharpening saws on here. If the teeth are just dull and haven't been sharpened 20 times without jointing, then you can just follow the tutorial. If you don't have a sawset, you'll need to get one.

You'll also need files. If you're using back saws, you'll have trouble finding the sizes you need. If you're just talking about a carpenters saw, then you can find the files at any hardware store or BORG or Lowes.

You can also get good tutorials on sharpening from Leonard Lee's book on sharpening.

Just search on Bob Smalser's posts on here or search his name on google and you'll find saw sharpening tutorials.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 09-18-2007 at 3:50 PM.

I haven't used them yet but Cooke's Sharpening in York PA comes highly recommended. They have a website, it's their name and dot com.

hth,
    Michael

Cooke

Ryan, your only 25 so you do have time to learn to sharpen yourself. I'm 60 and have to concentrate my remaining brain cells elsewhere so I send my saws to Steve Cooke in York PA. He does great work, fast turn around. Made a excellent saw out of the trashpicked Airmaster I sent him along with two others. Practically a local boy to you and me.

I do my own.

I taught myself to sharpen my own handsaws using the tutorial on vintage saws dot com. Tons of good info there and supplies as well. I practiced on an old junker first. I was lucky to get a saw vise and jointer from my FIL. It has to be pretty easy if even a TURNER can do it . I have not done back saws yet though.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

John,

60 is not to old to learn to sharpen! I'll be 55 next week, and I sharpened my first handsaw this past winter. Far, far easier than many of the writings make it out to be.

Pick a rip saw, get a vise, and take your time on the first one and go to it!

I've got to add, that I still use Steve Cooke (now that Tom Law doesn't sharpen anymore). Steve does a very good job, at a fair price. Last saw I had him do, was last year, when I sent a 8" dovetail saw (Freud ??) that I made a new handle for. Had him re-tooth the saw to 14 ppi and sharpen. Cuts as good as my Adria. But, I would still try sharpening. Worse you'll do is have to send it out!

http://cookessharpening.com/

$15.00 a saw and an additional $7.50 for retoothing if required. Prices on request for advanced restoration work. Excellent reputation too.

That's cheap. Even using machines, I don't know how they remain in business.

There's nothing wrong with machine work except power setting, which is nicely uniform but puts too sharp a bend in the tooth. Try paring wood efficiently into a clean, flat surface using a corner chisel sometime and see what I mean. If you're having it done, I'd recommend having him retooth (with a crowned breast) if necessary....if there's a lot of jointing to be done he'll probably insist....and machine file the saw as is without set. Then you buy a Somax sawset and do it yourself. You don't need a saw vise to set the saw.

Then once you have a properly-sharpened saw, learning how to do it yourself is relatively easy becase all you have to do is match the existing angles. Success on an abused saw with misshapen teeth that'll lose half of them fixing the joint is impossible without considerable experience.

One done right'll also teach you what you're looking for. Teeth with points so sharp they cut skin are nice, but in the process did the filer go past filing to the joint and shorten several teeth? You can sight down a fresh saw and actually see the teeth that are too short. Mark them with chalk and lay a straight edge on them to confirm. Better to have a few tiny flats left from jointing than to overfile and produce several short teeth that don't work along with their mates. Saws fresh from the retoother need jointing too, so be skeptical of anyone who says short teeth aren't a problem using machines. The machine can't see the size of the jointed flat it's filing to.

And here's the biggie. Don't buy a saw that isn't "dead straight" to the on-line seller's eye. And the ones that are or at a flea market, flex them into a circle in both directions and see if they remain straight. Lotsa sellers think straightening them over their knee, in a vise, or with...shudder....a hammer... fixes the saw. It doesn't for long without also fixing the saw's tension, and that's not a common skill these days. Cooke's probably can.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 09-18-2007 at 3:44 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Quote Originally Posted by John Powers View Post
    Ryan, your only 25 so you do have time to learn to sharpen yourself. I'm 60 and have to concentrate my remaining brain cells elsewhere so I send my saws to Steve Cooke in York PA. He does great work, fast turn around. Made a excellent saw out of the trashpicked Airmaster I sent him along with two others. Practically a local boy to you and me.
    Haha, I'm handy with a lot of things, a file 'aint one of them. Thanks for the reference, I might send him the blades off the other two saws I am making new handles for too.
    Last edited by Ryan Hovis; 09-18-2007 at 4:14 PM.

I just talked to the guy at Cookes. He seemed really sharp, and he said that he sharpens them by hand. I'm going to be packing some up and sending them out soon. I'll reply with my results.

I can throw a rock at 50, and I just got my first hand saws and will get my own files and learn to do my own. If you do a little research, you will find you can sharpen your own saw for your own style and needs. Files aren't too expensive either.

http://www.vintagesaws.com/file/file.html

However you choose, enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Carrera View Post
    I just talked to the guy at Cookes. He seemed really sharp
    No pun intended!!!! Sorry I could not resist that.

I have not tackled saw sharpening yet. I just don't have time. I need to concentrate on becoming proficient at sawing first. With what little time I have, I want to work wood, not saws.

I have sent a couple of saws to Steve Cooke, and have been happy with the results. I have only had one saw sharpened elsewhere so I don't have much to compare to. There is at least one fellow over on woodnet who sharpens saws. I really don't know much about him, he is in California.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Wow, I didn't even realize I did that. Working too much I guess. BTW - I have sharpened on of my saws by hand, I just find it to be one of the most tedious tasks I've ever attempted.

Blog Entries
    I can throw a rock at 71, and I sharpen my Lie Nielsen saws. :-)
    I'll be going to a green wood windsor chair class next month.

Highland Hardware and Lee Valley both have the 4" dbl slim taper files. I have no affiliation with either store.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hovis View Post
    I cannot find anyone in my area that sharpens handsaws, I just refinished the handle on my ancient Disston, blade is in nice shape and it's going to make a nice saw once it's sharp. Those who do not have a local sharpener, where do you send them?
    I have been in contact with a gentleman named Marv Werner. Marv sells reconditioned saws on ebay. His ebay name is marvco64. His saws are all sharpened and ready for use. He must do a great job sharpening as he has a 6 week waiting time. You can email Marv at werner161@ mchsi.com

me, an old saw vice, a magnifier with a built in light and one of several old file holder jigs, I tried the local saw sharpener, ended up redoing them myself when they didn't perform. local carpenter who still uses some hand tools tried one of my saws, now I sharpen his too. LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand