Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw Blades

Jerry, I believe that the last AS I bought from Suffolk was about $15 which isn't materially different than the locally purchased blades. (My saw is a 2003 MM16 and it takes 145" blades) And it's slightly thicker kerf lasts a bit longer in wet wood for which it was designed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Suffolk Blades

Jim,

I too have a 16" saw, a Laguna, but your MM I believe is the better bandsaw! I do have the MM combo saw and have been delighted with it.

It's been a while since I bought the Suffolk blades, but I just
    looked at ebandsaw, a distributor of the Timberwolf bands and found:
    Wood/Metal Cutting: AS 3/8" x .032 x 144" $24.25
    Which, if I read it right, is the blade specified at the Suffolk Machinery Site as appropriate for green wood.

Also they had a thinner blade:
    Wood/Metal Cutting: PC 3/8" x .025 x 150" $23.07

Maybe other suppliers are cheaper.

Fine Woodworking issue 169 June 2006 did a test of 19, 1/2" band, suppliers. This is the one issue that I seem to have misplaced! But I recall they saw no great value for the increased price, or heavily marketed claims for Timberwolf or Highland. They did mention BC Saw as the best value, I believe. Timberwolf was highlighted as fast cutting but fair in other respects:

SUMMARY REVIEW

"To test bandsaw blades for resawing, we selected 1/2-in.-wide blades, a size well suited to resawing on a 14-in. bandsaw. The same saw (Delta model 28-241) was used for all of the tests. When it comes to resaw blades, most woodworkers have only three demands: that the blade be reasonably fast and that the cut be both reasonably flat and reasonably smooth. To measure speed, we timed low long it took to cut through a section of 9-1/2-in.-wide soft maple, with short times equating to fast-cutting blades. To assess flatness, we measured the amount of barreling on the test block using a straightedge and a set of feeler gauges. To find the smoothest cutters, we measured how much sanding had to be done to remove the blade marks. The Timber Wolf P.C. was one of the fastest, in 9-1/2" maple resaw, completing the speed test in 18.54 seconds.

Editor Test Results
    Flatness Test Fair
    Quality of Cut Fair
    Speed of Cut Very good"

This is no biggie, especially if you don't go thru a lot of bands, or are mainly doing finish cutting on expensive seasoned lumber, but I do a lot of turning green natural edge oak, and I just don't see a difference in my use of different band suppliers, so price rules. YMMV

I am not saying they are not good bands. But for turners are they worth the price? Do they live up to the hype and slick demos?

Thanks for your thoughts, and I certainly respect them.
    Jerry Hall

Resellers of Timberwolf charge higher prices than Suffolk direct...and the latter often has "buy x get one free" deals, too. I buy them 'cause I get good long life, don't have to crank the tension so high to get good results and because when I call them, they know what I bought last time and deliver the next batch fast. But are they a panacea? Nope. Just decent blades that I have been happy with. Everything else I've tried have been disappointing outside of the Lennox TriMaster carbide I use for resaw work.

'Glad you're happy with your Euro gear, Jerry! Me tool....as it were...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by JerHall View Post
    Lathes are pretty good at getting things round.
    Amen. Eight-sided is round enough for mounting; and the bandsaw won't remove a heavy off-axis clump anyway - even four-sided for small blanks. Ditto for spindle work. I've turned many triangular splits of firewood; hold the spindle roughing gouge so that the wood hits it on the way around; after about 50% contact, you can just about ride the bevel.

Joe

Suffolk Blades Direct

Jim,

I see what you mean. Currently they have a 4 for 3 special. That brings my 145" 3/8" blades in .032 to about $20 each. The .025 blades would be a couple bucks cheaper. That is closer and it is a good blade. Maybe I will give them a try again on my next order. I too like the thicker blade, known as "furniture bands" by some, also available as a standard carbon blade, but at more cost. So apples to apples it looks like they is around three bucks or so difference in price. Good information and good discussion.

Jerry
    Jerry Hall

I did check the prices here on the Lennox bi metal blades (which do outlast the other types, and are worth getting resharpened) and found them to be cheaper than the ones from Suffolk.
    robo hippy

Gary,
    You made the right choice by going with Timberwolf. I'm still on my first Timberwolf blade (3/8" 3tpi AS) after a whole year. I've cut at least 100 wet turning blanks averaging 8-10" in diameter. I've also cut at least a dozen nails while chopping up some old construction debris found in a crawlspace. I can't say enough good things about the folks at Suffolk and the Timberwolf blades!!!!!

FYI-I suggest you use standard guides for wet wood instead of roller guides. Roller guides tend to compress the wet wood residue onto the blade causing buildup that results in the blade walking on the tires.

Good luck,
    Dick

Good and Better

I have had good success with Timberwolf but better luck from blades I got specifically for cutting green wood from Highland Hardware. They correctly tout (sp?) them for cutting green wood for turning. I have an18" jet in SC with timberwolf blades and a 14" delta with risers and the Highland blades in VA. I prefer cutting green wood up in VA.
    Good luck, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Hilel, are you comparing the "wet wood" blades from Highland to the Timberwolf AS? Or the PC? Only the former is designed for wet cutting and you will see a difference. It's good to know that Highland has a wet wood blade, too! Choices are good.
    --

Great Resource for Band Saw Blades

A good place to get bandsaw blades.
    They will size an blade for you and the prices are good.
    I buy all my blades from them.

http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/
    Dale L Hoover
    Live Life & Enjoy your health

I'll have to check

Jim,

The truth is I don't know. I'll check the next time I go to Mann Tool where I buy my Timberwolf blades. It may be that I'm comparing apples to oranges.
    Thanks for pointing out the possibility, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Garmar View Post
    I need some help in purchasing the correct blades for what I want to do with the BS. I need blade(s) for resawing and for sawing out turning blanks. Needs to be durable and pretty much a do all blade(s). Thanks in advance.
    Others already have made good recommendations, and I get my blades direct from Suffolk Machinery as well.

But you really should have two separate blades for these two operations. To ask one blade to be a "do all" for these two purposes is like trying to turn spindles and bowls with only one gouge.

buy Swedish Silicone blades, they are sharp and stay sharp for quite a while when resawing. Timberwolf is one brand but there are cheaper brands that are just as good.

Check the model number on your bandsaw for the size or the manufacturer's plate.

Good luck and happy sawing.

David

I purchased the 1/2" 3tpi AS and received them today. A bit pricy but should be just what I am looking for in a bowl blank blade. Try saying that 3 times real fast. Anyway, I will install the blade tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day and night.