Thread: Are they any videos online about pen turning?

Are they any videos online about pen turning?

Hi all you pen turners,

I offhandedly said to my wife this morning, "You ought to buy yourself a small lathe and start making pens". She replied with "That sounds like it might be fun".

Man, that was too easy!

So as she started asking a few more questions about how you make them I could not really answer her questions. I have not researched it yet, but thought I would hit up the Creek members for some advice.

Any websites that have videos showing the pen-making process? Or sites that explain the process with pictures and text?

Your suggestions would be welcomed.

btw - I am having way too much fun building "stuff" in my workshop. What a great hobby! And you guys (and gals) are a wonderful group to be associated with.

Jeff

Yes there are videos out there.
    Here is a site that had 2 and the advanced is supposed to be very good.

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Video.html

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen10.html

http://www.woodturnerruss.com/

Good Luck
    Julie

Hi Jeff,

Good for you!

I don't know of any sites that have videos you can watch online. Julie has already mentioned Russ's site for videos you can buy. Another one is Bill Baumbeck's video, which I find to be excellent, at www.arizonasilhouette.com. A great book is the one by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham, although Dick Sing's books are good as well. There are also online penturning sites like Penturners.org and the Yahoo Penturners Group. These are excellent sources of information! And of course there is this great group! There are lots of good penturners here, but of them all I would refer you to Ken Salisbury. And please, ask any questions that come up!

Scott.

Thanks all. I have looked at the web sites and ended up ordering Bill Baumbeck's video. It looked like the most comprehensive for the money. It should help me and my wife get a good flavor of what pen making is all about before we dive in.

Jeff,

Good for you! You will enjoy Bill's video! I wish I had it when I was starting penturning. Bill is a character, and he's even more fun in person!

Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Thanks all. I have looked at the web sites and ended up ordering Bill Baumbeck's video. It looked like the most comprehensive for the money. It should help me and my wife get a good flavor of what pen making is all about before we dive in.
    Jeff....

You'll like it and learn from it. Bill is a great guy and I was involved in BETA testing his DVD version of his video. I also get all my most excellent pen blanks from Bill. Every blank I get from his is of the highest quality and figure. Makes some of the prettiest pens I have ever seen.

I did learn one thing in addition to what I already knew about pen turning from Bill's video.....using the MicroMesh.....It makes a world of difference in the final finish of the pens and the pens almost have a polished stone look when sanded and polished through 12,000 grit with the micromesh....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.