Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut through my saw's cord...ARGHHH!!!

For our handheld power tools we used to cut all the cords off leaving about 1 foot of cord. Then put a piece of air hose over the cord to make it stiff and add a plug. Usually had to run an extension cord anyway. Made the cord thing simpler.

If you would see my hand held power saws you would think they come with cut cords. I even managed to cut through my sawall cord.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

Probably won't happen again

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Bought a new Bosch 1677 worm-drive circ saw and within 2 hours, I managed to cut right through the cord!! I imagine it happened because the cord was still "trained" in a bit of a zig-zag pattern and it got sucked into the blade guard when I lowered the saw down near my side.

Anybody else have this issue? How can I prevent this from happening again? Is there an easy, safe way to splice the two pieces of cord back together?

JW
    Everyone who has cut a cord raise your hand. Ok, some of you are lying!, get your hand up. When I was 13 I used my dad's circ saw to cut a board. First time using a circ saw; and my last for many years. This was one bad a** saw. It weighed more than I did. Within 3 seconds of turning it on, I had cut the cord. I never think about the cord issue any more except when I pick up a circ saw. Then it is always the first thing on my mind. I can't use a circ saw unless I have the cord over my shoulder (I use a tiny spring clamp to clip it to my shirt so It can't fall off and cause a distraction), or I have an assistant hold the cord. So, you may never have to worry about this experience again. Your brain has been trained at the school of hard knocks! It is amazing how long an experience like this will control your future actions. By the way, I really like the tape measure "cord minder" idea from Niki. Now where did I put all those old dead tape measures???

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    How can I prevent this from happening again? JW

No tails to cut here!!!

pa pics 050-1.jpg

That is a Disston D7 and a Harvey W. Peace.

Jonathan

"I left Earth three times. I found no place else to go. Please take care of Spaceship Earth." -- Wally Schirra, who flew around Earth on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions in the 1960s.

5. Hi Jason,

Go to an electrical wholesale house. Use 14-3 SJ cord with 515 plug. Both together should run you less than $20. The 14-3 should be about the same size as what you have on the saw now. The only problem may be in the strain releif on the saw. If it is molded on the cord you may be SOL but if the cord just runs through it the 14-3 will work.

Sell it on eBay as a cordless and buy a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Sell it on eBay as a cordless and buy a new one?
    LMAO Phil, good one. thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    For our handheld power tools we used to cut all the cords off leaving about 1 foot of cord. Then put a piece of air hose over the cord to make it stiff and add a plug. Usually had to run an extension cord anyway. Made the cord thing simpler.
    I "pigtail" all my hand tools. Makes storing much easier without having to wrap 15' of cord each time!

The answer is simple, though not simple to implement - You have to change your movement so that you don't swing the saw into the cord. How do I know? I cut the cord of my Skilsaw exactly as you describe, letting the saw hang down after the cut. Dang! Got a new cord and everything is fine again. Within the next 3 cuts - Dang!!.
    As the saying goes "Wow that's ten times in a row, it must be me"