Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left vs Right tilt.

Left vs Right tilt.

I currently use a ryobi contractor saw and will soon upgrade to a 3hp, 220v, 1ph cabinet saw. I see most mfg now offer right tilt and left tilt. What are the issues here? Relative newby asking, thanks for the patience, look forward to understanding this better. Ray Knight

If you do bevel cuts, the left tilt is less likely to trap the workpiece, reducing the possibility of a kickback (though there are workarounds like switching the side on which you have the rip fence and using the relevant safety equipment).

The right tilt doesn't need your fence measurement cursor readjusted when you change to different thickness blades, because you're always measuring to the same blade face and position.

Ray, Ed pretty much hit the nail on the head with the pros/cons, for me it's just a matter of preference. I had used a left tilt for over 20 yrs, I had a chance to get a RT Unisaw at a great price and jumped on it. I have used this saw for 6 years now and while it is a great saw if/when I ever get another TS it will be a left tilt.
    David

I went through the same proces about two years ago. I ended up with a Left tilt uni. It just struck me as safer - something about the blade tilting toward the fence gave me the "don't make that cut" voice in the back of my head that I always listen to (as opposed to the other voices I ignore .

Ray, there are a number of threads on here which discuss the vices and virtues of left v. right tilt. Just search "left tilt" and you'll come up with a number of them. Here's one: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ight=left+tilt.

LOML wrote one of the replies in this thread, and as he sells machines and tools for a living, he does know whereof he speaks. I'm no advocating for one or the other, but his is a pretty clear explanation of why left tilt came into being.

Good luck on choosing a good one!! There are lots of them out there.

Nancy (93 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I would get what you are use to. If it helps any, JET said sales for right vs left are 50/50. I use a left tilt.

It also might help to know that left-tilt saws cost more than right-tilt ones. E.g., the Steel City right tilt is $500 less than the left-tilt.

Nancy (93 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

The "real" issue is not which way the blade tilts but whether it tilts "toward" the fence or "away" from the fence. As has been pointed out, when the blade is tilted toward the fence, the stock is "trapped" between the tilted blade and the fence which is potentially dangerous. However, on many saws, the fence can be mounted in either side of the blade giving you the option. Usually the possible distance from blade to fence is much greater on the right side than on the left. So the width of the stock you would be cutting with the blade tilted is going to be a deciding factor. If you forsee the need to bevel cut wide pieces often, it would be worth the extra cost to get a left tilt saw. But if you generally don't need to bevel stock wider than 12" or so, a right tilt saw would be fine as long as it offers the ability to mount the fence on the left side of the blade.
    David DeCristoforo

As some have pointed out, one can place the fence on either side of the blade depending on what type of cut you're making. However, a consideration here is the "comfort level" of having the fence to the left of the blade rather than the right. The "normal" position of the fence is to the right of the blade. Whether one is right-handed or left-handed, this is the position one becomes accustomed to using the saw. Positioning the fence to the left of the blade can seem awkward for many -- maybe most -- people. Check it for yourself, if you haven't already.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

My right tilt table saw is ambidextrous, i.e. the rails can slide all the way to either side. So, I've always done what seemed easiest and safest. Without thinking about it too much, I found that I tend to use my right tilt saw with the fence on the left, even for 90 degree cuts. Oh, and sawing is a bit easier now that my WWII has had it's 50k mile re-sharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Craven View Post
    ... Without thinking about it too much, I found that I tend to use my right tilt saw with the fence on the left, even for 90 degree cuts. ...
    Fred,

Are you right- or left-handed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Knight View Post
    I currently use a ryobi contractor saw and will soon upgrade to a 3hp, 220v, 1ph cabinet saw. I see most mfg now offer right tilt and left tilt. What are the issues here? Relative newby asking, thanks for the patience, look forward to understanding this better. Ray Knight
    Oh good. I came back to check my response and see that I wisely chose to stay out of it this time ;-) Its a preference thing in all reality. Blades are all a bit different and unless I am going to do a lot of cuts with my Frued, I don't reset my cursor even though the cut line will be a little bit different than my WWII. With a dado it is way out (left tilt) but I generally use my dado and then remove it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-20-2007 at 12:50 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Ray,
    I presently have a right tilt TS in my shop because it was a gift. I will NEVER have another right tilt. Just my opinion.

Get the left tilt......
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    It also might help to know that left-tilt saws cost more than right-tilt ones. E.g., the Steel City right tilt is $500 less than the left-tilt.

Nancy (93 days)
    That reminds me. When I was doing research on a new saw the left tilt did cost more but it had heaver cast-iron castings in the blade/motor support. Why? I have no clue.

15. To tell you the truth I was not that familiar with the difference between LT and RT, until I saw the recent episode that played of the NYW. There I discovered, as many have mentioned here that the saw blade tilts into the fence, rather than away from it. That seems to me to be a safety consideration. How do you use a push stick between the fence and the blade, when making 45 degree bevel cuts, unless you are cutting really wide stock?
    Although I ran into a total tool junkie who took a 40 foot trailer to his jobs, and on it he had a left tilt, and a right tilt. Must be good for some things. As it usually goes, in loss their is gain. They all gotta be the same until you start to tilt them.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."