Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOS Spider

BOS Spider

I'm not an entomoligist, can't even spell it, but I know what kind of spider this is, BOS (Big O'l Spider). Substitute any vowel you wish.

I don't really know what kind of spider this is. I discovered it when I set a sprinkler and raised up into it's web I've seen little spiders jump several inches, so I figured this bad boy could probably clear ten feet in a single bound. However, being the courageous individual I am, I got within about 3 feet to slide the tape measure over by it. It was really pretty patient while I hit his web several times.

Below and to the right is a zig-zag pattern that is part of it's web. I have no idea what that was supposed to be. Maybe it was tired of having it's web torn down by stupid humans, so made that pattern to be obvious. Didn't work!

Just thought some of you might enjoy these. Personally, I loathe the things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try this on for size.... http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/d...&curPageNum=11

I had a very large one (1.5" +) outside my shop a couple years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boy Jim, you nailed that one fast! I'm glad it didn't drop to the ground like the page describes. I'd be buying a new camera after doing laundry.

Wow! he's a beauty! here are some photos I took a couple of years back of some local web slingers in the yard:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a regular garden spider. I have an intense phobia of spiders, but I do have two of these at various corners of the house. One is very out of reach and other is within my phobia distance. I have let both live as they never venture farther than their web area. I did accidentally harm the lower ones web once with a weed eater and he was missing in action for a day but rebuilt two feet higher in the same spot. I find they are good on bugs up to and including grasshoppers, so I let these two live. They actually fascinate me to a point. They stay out of the house and shop and I'll let them live. I catch the six legged bugs and mice if any, and LOML gets all eight legged creatures for me. We do have the big wolf spiders here that would make about ten of these spiders. I have weapons in the home if needed that could deal with one of these rascals if they get in lol
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

Yup....we call those "writing spiders" because of the zigzag webbing they spin in the center of their web. I have one on the outside of my shop that has webbed between the shop building and a small cherry tree. It's probably one of the biggest that I've seen in a long time....Beautiful thing, but I HATE spiders...but like you, I let these live because of the other pests they eat.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Spiders are gruesome creatures. I firmly believe that these creatures were not created when THE BIG GUY created the earth. They were dropped on this planet by aliens from another world just to freak us out.
    They seem to love wood shops too. Dropped a piece of MDF on one last night.

Lee,
    You don't mention where you're located, but you must be somewhere in the south... That's a Golden Silk Spider. Lot's of those here in Southeast Texas. I think they're pretty common all the way from here to Florida.

I read recently that the zigzag pattern is believed to be for birds, so they see the web and therefore don't fly into and destroy it. No idea if thats true or not.

Hello Mike,
    I firmly believe that these creatures were not created when THE BIG GUY created the earth. They were dropped on this planet by aliens from another world just to freak us out.
    Nah - spiders are cool. They eat really annoying bugs like 'skeeters and such. I think the Big Guy had his reasons for creating spiders...

Now - relatives that are too lazy to get a job and are on the constant search for a handout,,,THAT's a different story ...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Now - relatives that are too lazy to get a job and are on the constant search for a handout,,,THAT's a different story ...
    My mother-in-law created those things. Don't even think she had help from my FNL.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Jim, hope your wife doesn't find out what you said about her.
    Or was it her siblings you are talking about!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

I'm sure the neighbors think I'm some sort of nut when I go out in the morning to put up the flag and get the newspaper. I'm out there with my rolled up umbrella swinging it around like it was a sword and I'm fighting off hoards. This year has been the worse I've seen for spiders and their webs. It isn't unusual to see strands 20 feet across with a web in the middle. Knock it down and it'll be rebuilt the next morning. If they would stay up in the trees I would let them be but they insist on spinning across the walk. It also makes mowing the yard an adventure. I'll be driving right along and bam right into s web.

We had the bulb in our guard light burn out and the guy they sent out to change it saw a big one like your photo that had spun it's web from the top of the pole into the line bracket. He wouldn't climb the pole until he got out a long sectioned pole and was able to knock it down. Watching him dodge and jump when the spider and web tangled in the end of the pole was worth the price of admission.

Quote Originally Posted by TYLER WOOD View Post
    Or was it her siblings you are talking about!!!!
    Brother in law. Spent not nearly enough time in jail. Now just mooching off of my MIL. Course it's her baby. If he was a seal I'd baby him with a bat
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

When I lived out in the country in Oklahoma we had tons of spiders making enormous webs. Life was ok unless they stretched over the path into the house. Then LOML would not get out of the vehicle until I had dispatched the web and moved the spider. It was the little spiders that caused the problems, we had a significant brown recluse spider problem. So much so that when I stuck out sticky traps to catch them I would catch 15-20 of em in just a few days. It made working out in the shop unnerving at times. I can always tell how large the spider is by how high LOML screams.....Then its time to be a spider killer...........