Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Whats yer workshop shoe?

Dr Marten 8836 series

My current favorite- steel toe with lots of room and they last a long time (I do drop things on the floor/ my toes- and my wife is a doctor and probably would not let me in the workshop with unprotected toes!). Dr Marten soles also make for a comfortable ride, although I also bought some anti-fatigue flooring that I have in front of the workbench- makes for a comfortable day in the shop!

hope the pic loads too

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crocs when it is above 105 degrees, otherwise sneakers.
    Lori K

Havent found a great shoe (for me) yet but I do have a padded floor (cosco pack of 24" puzzle pieces, 1/2" thick) and orthotics which are not to be done without.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Last years tennis shoes. Course I have to dump the wood chips out of them before I take them off in the bed room.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

i switch -- italian made work boots with vibram soles, or hiking boots by timberland. also wear adidas running shoes sometimes -- but all of these translate to excellent heel cushioning.

after breaking a bone in my foot (the talus) 12+ years ago, i believe it's good inserts and a good fit that matters most. i have always used insoles -- i even double them up for 2 layers -- the doctor scholls work inserts are great ($15/pr).

since i have double E feet, sometimes i end up getting a half sizer larger shoe to accommodate both the width and the inserts. of course i look that much more like a clown because of it, but my feet and my back thank me.

some agree with me on the insoles/orthotics; some swear by the rubber floor pads that restaurants use for their line cooks; others say soft, thick soles are best; and a friend of mine started wearing earth shoes, which apparently are making a comeback (!) yikes, i hated them back in the 70s and now they're back, like a bad penny.

Romeos

Buy at most Farm Stores. Might look like a dork in them, but they have good support, slip on easily when broken in. Loggers on the West Coast wear them after a day of having their dogs in caulk boots.

Clodhoppers, also know as sh## kickers and workboots.

I pulled the trigger on a pair of Crocs. Had to drive to several stores to find the pair that has the enclosed toe box. They are called the "Offroad" Croc. Very nice cushion, zero arch support.
    Found a store that carried the Dansko Professional (closed back men's clog). Gotta say this was pleasure to try on. when you walk or stand in them... it feels like 2 thumbs being pressed into the ball of your foot during a foot message! OHHHHHHHOOOOHOHO! As soon as I can pony up $120 I will be having me a pair of these pups. 3 minutes walking around the store in them, my headache went away (you know, 'that shopping headache?). AWESOME!!!