Thread: Stanley 140 Me, or it?...

Stanley 140 Me, or it?...

I just purchased a well used 140 with the 2 screws and the fence on the right side. It has been very dirty and somewhat rusty with some plating left here and there. However, very solid.

First, have worked to clean it up, oil the threads on everything and get most of the dirt out of crevices. Also have flattened the sole and sharpened it some.

It seems very difficult to get the blade parallel to the throat. Also, It isn't clear to me that there is much to support the blade. It appears to be a little higher on one edge than the others although the blade is flat and there doen't seem to be anything on the body of the plane. I could go on and on about how tricky this rascle is and how frustuated and disappointted I am with it at this point. However, will be interested to know what others think about the stanly 140 before I discount it completely. Although I do now have over 40 old stanleys, I am thinking on this that if I don't get any revalations from here, I may try to get my 70$ back out of it on the bay and get a Lie Nielsen. Thoughts?

thanks in advance!!

Jeff

I have Millers Falls #07 which is the same type of plane. I have not had much issue with mine. But I seem to just use mie for cross grain work and thinning the cheeks of tenons.

Is the iron ground to the correct skew angle? any pics? I am sure some one smarter than me can help.

Joe

Check out this article

Derek Cohen has an article over at WoodCentral that addresses some of your issues. Check it out.

woodcentral.com cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articles_783.sht ml
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 09-20-2007 at 9:32 AM. Reason: direct links to other woodworking websites violate TOS
    Tony