Thread: Updated the blog: Details of my home-made spray booth

Updated the blog: Details of my home-made spray booth

First, Marc, The Wood Whisperer wanted some additional info, as he "gets questions about making a home-made spray booth all the time" (his words-you can view his comments at my blog). Marc has already indicated that the details are good enough .

A little while later, Warren also requested some information. Soooo, I made what seems to be a fairly complete entry, photos and all, due to their popular demand .

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Nicely done Al. Looks similar to the unit that was featured in a magazine a number of years back (FWW, Wood, ??). Looks like it does the job well. I wish I could make something permanent like you've done, would certainly ease finishing operations significantly

Some day...

mike

For the benefit of SMC members, could you post some of the content details here, too? Thanks in advance.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good point, Jim! Thanks for the reminder.

About a year ago, LOML and I moved a bunch of old tools from what we had dedicated as a finishing room, but became a store room - it just happened, as we were busy with a bunch of other stuff.

Long story short, we finally completed the finishing room, and I posted in August 2006 right here. This post generated some interest, but it did not have many photos relevant to the booth itself.

Late last night, I updated my blog to include some details of the construction of the booth - the text of the actual construction materials can be found at the blog.

Now to the details:

1. This is yours truly, spraying the latest cabinet creation in the booth:

2. This photo shows the exhaust fan components - notice how the flange on the tube is taped with duct tape to the foam insulation sheet that is the back of the booth:

3. In my original post here on SMC I simply described how I used wide Velcro strips to create "hinges" to hold together the sides and the booth back. This is dditional detail - notice that I have also used duct tape on the edge of the fom sheet, to protect the edge and to stiffen the sheet:

4. Finally, the original photo, showing the spray booth in its entirety, and before I managed to get the floor dirty :

These are probably the best photos that summarize how the booth is put together. Thanks for looking!

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking