Thread: Help - Delta unisaw

Help - Delta unisaw

I am looking to buy this delta rockwell unisaw. The ad doesnt say much other than 10" so I went out to look at it (1.5 hr drive) and made the humble mistake of not taking my digital camera. I got some specs off the motor but could not see anything that referenced horsepower. Here's what the motor says

3450 RPM
    3 phase
    208 v
    7.4 amp

It a large motor and the amps didnt sound right so i checked twice and that's what it said. So now my pickle is either use a device to convert the 1 phase 220 in my house to 3ph or replace the motor (another ~$200). I read on another thread about a guy with a bandsaw in the same situation and the suggestion was to use a device from factorymation.

I will be building cabinets, bookcases and entertainment centers so I want a sturdy saw. This one has a long ext table. Unfortunately the miter and rip fence are AWOL.

Here's a photo

So, pass or go for it?

also

[edit]
    blade tilts towards fence on the right. but i'm ok with that (move the fence over)
    Last edited by Mark Williamson; 09-20-2007 at 3:07 PM.

Thats a hard one to understand, how in the heck can the Biesemeyer fence rail be there and the fence is missing ? I'm sure it can be a nice saw, but I'd be looking at what it would cost to get it back up and running and deduct that from the market value. You never did say what he was asking for the saw.
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 09-20-2007 at 3:01 PM.

With the conversion from 3 phase to single phase, you would probably have to replace the magnetic starter, or at a minimum, the overload relays.

So you would need;

- starter or relays
    - fence
    -mitre gauge
    -guard/splitter
    -new motor

If you supply the saw with 3 phase power you would need everything except the starter and motor.

If the price of the saw isn't extremely low, I would pass on it.

regards, Rod.

How Much?

It looks like an older saw. It's hard to tell what shape it's in, but the missing miter gauge and fence is a clue. Unisaws are really good saws and parts are pretty easy to come by. I think you might be a little low on the estimate for replacing the motor. A new 3 Hp 230 V, single phase replacement motor runs between $400 and $500 on Amazon. I don't know what you'd have to pay for a converter if you wanted to keep the 3 phase, but my guess is that they aren't cheap. If you could get the saw for, say $200, you would still have to spend $800 to $900 to replace the motor, rip fence and miter gauge and put it into top shape (assuming you used new parts and bought a good fence and miter gauge). You might come out ahead, but I think I'd keep looking if I were you.

Well the ac drive device from factory mation, depending on the hp of the motor is about $185. I called the ac motor guys here in dallas and a new 220 single phase motor about $240 but then i have more stuff to replace (switches etc). The ac 1-3 converter is sounding better all the time.

the saw is about $250

the FM100-203 from factorymation, about $200-375

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Lenz View Post
    Thats a hard one to understand, how in the heck can the Biesemeyer fence rail be there and the fence is missing ? I'm sure it can be a nice saw, but I'd be looking at what it would cost to get it back up and running and deduct that from the market value. You never did say what he was asking for the saw.
    probably some one knew what it was and took it home

Mark,

There have been some really good threads on SMC about reconditioning older Unisaws. Go to the top of the "General Woodworking and Power Tools Index Page" and do a Google search for "Unisaw Motor" and you'll get a lot of hits (click on "search" at the top of the page and it will give you a Google option). Dave Emch posted a nice piece on technical points about the electronics of single phase and three phase Unisaw motors and converters here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26678

Hank

8. I have a three phase converter in the shop for the planer and jointer, but passed on the TS. I use the TS too frequently than to start up the converter. I've got an X series Unisaw with 3hp and can tie into just about any wood imaginable with no trouble at all.

If your saw is a real bargain and you like messing with the machines, it may be a nice project. But if you want to get to work, you may wish to take a pass.
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies

Thanks for the help guys...dodged a bullet

Well I didnt get that delta unisaw, thank gosh. No mitre, no fence, 3phase whew.

So I have my eyes on this one. He is asking $600 obo. Has a unifence. 220 single phase.

Says its about 10 yrs old, but unsure. Going to get more pics of it tonight. Is this a good price for this saw?

Mark, it looks like a Rockwell which I believe is well over 10 years ago since they made equipment. A good place to find ages on older equipment is OWWM.com Get the model number and the serial number. It's kind of hard judgeing what it's worth with such a fuzzy picture and very limited information. Does it have the motor cover ? And how many miles are on it ?
    Last edited by Chuck Lenz; 09-24-2007 at 7:53 PM.

Still waiting for more photos from the seller.

Thanks

It has a Unifence which is what I have and really like.

Looking at the saw I would say that it is much older that 10yrs, which isn't a bad thing if it is in decent condidtion. They tabletop looks pretty rusted so you will need to make sure it isn't pitted too bad. But, if the saw is still in decent shape inside $600 isn't bad.

My Uni was made in '86 and still runs very well.

13. Looks like a good buy from what I can see. A little TLC and you have saved yourself a pile of dough. That fence is much better than the Biesemeyer I talked myself into buying.

If you buy it and don't like it, you could come to my house for dinner. My wife is a good cook and you could bring your saw?
    Vietnam Vet With No Apologies