Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help building sanding drum...

Need help building sanding drum...

I am building a drum sander and need advice on one aspect of the construction. I am using 3" PVC for the drum, and need to figure out the best way to attach the pipe to a 5/8" steel rod running through the middle. I'm planning to use wooden discs inserted into each end of the pvc, with a hole through the middle for the rod, but how to attach the rod to the discs?

I thought some kind of flange, but don't know where to look...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I really don't think your going to have any luck at all using PVC for the drum, first off it's not stiff enough your going to get a tremendous amount of flex through the length of the drum. Another issue will be heat, as you know PVC is plastic.......plastic doesn't do to well when subjected to heat and you will be generating a lot of heat while sanding because of the friction of the sandpaper turning against the stock
    David

David,

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I'm replicating the sander that Stockroom Supply sells. Their design doesn't put pressure on the drum, and heat buildup is minimal, at best.

Looking at the 2' piece of schedule 40 PVC I have, it seems extremely ridgid.

Not to be a wet blanket, but as the owner of a Performax 25X2 drum sander and having had a fair amount of experience with fine tuning it, you are wasting your time with PVC. Better to make the drum out of multiple MDF disks guled togehter on a steel rod and then true it up on a lathe. I have about .004" runout on one end of one drum and it is noticable. You will not be able to control distortion to those limits with PVC. Also you need some mass to control vibration and prenvent bouncing, the sold MDF drum will help with that. For a shaft, I would use at least 1/2" or better 5/8" or 3/4" turned down to carry the bearings. The bearings need to be a tight slide fit to gentle press fit.

CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter James; 09-20-2007 at 4:49 PM.

Thanks for your reply, but again, I would contest that this sander is a significant deviation from the typically thickness sander, in that there is virtually no force applied to the drum itself.

I agree, I would never consider PVC if I were planning to pass the workpiece between the drum and a fixed surface.

If you have a chance, please take a look at their website and let me know what you think...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Benton View Post
    If you have a chance, please take a look at their website and let me know what you think...
    Thanks!
    Looked at it. You still have to press the stock against the drum so the drum is still going to be subject to heat. PVC is a poor choice. If you are wedded to using PVC, you might consider filling it with cement. You could plug the ends with wood disks with your axle in place and pour the cement through a hole in one of the end caps. But. really, you would be better off to come up with a steel drum for this.
    David DeCristoforo

Thanks for all the help!

If I were to use mdf disks glued together, what adhesive should I use to secure the mdf drum to the rod?

Blog Entries
    I might suggest having someone turn you the whole enchalada on a lathe.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I feel confident gluing up the disks and truing the cylinder, just want to be sure I secure it to the rod properly...

10. Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    I really don't think your going to have any luck at all using PVC for the drum, first off it's not stiff enough your going to get a tremendous amount of flex through the length of the drum. Another issue will be heat, as you know PVC is plastic.......plastic doesn't do to well when subjected to heat and you will be generating a lot of heat while sanding because of the friction of the sandpaper turning against the stock
    What he said. PVC gets really soft at very low temperatures.

Other materials might include wire mesh reinforced Concrete.

Lots of guys make disks from MDF and stack them and epoxy them on a shaft to make a drum.

Just rough the rod up with 60 grit and use epoxy. I did build a drum out of pvc and it did get hot and you could tell it was mushy. You could true up a wood one with a jig and a router. You can balance it too.

I'd suggest using a newsprint core instead. Four inches OD, about 25 inches long, wall thickness about 1/2 inch of very, very robust cardboard - almost Masonite. Has metal end hubs 3 inches ID with a notch to engage the driver. Our local rag puts about 30 or 40 of them, with about 1/4-inch thickness of paper remnant, on the loading dock every afternoon for free pickup. Some newspapers charge about $2 for them, but still a bargain. YMMV.

Cut plywood disks with ears to mate with the notch, and mount all on stout all-thread as already discussed.

Joe

I think the point missed by many is that hundreds if not thousands of these sanders have been built by users the world over. The PVC works. It has already been demonstrated.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I think the point missed by many is that hundreds if not thousands of these sanders have been built by users the world over. The PVC works. It has already been demonstrated.
    It would be interesting to see a poll reflecting the number of “satisfied” owners out there. I have never read any posts praising the system; it seems like a make-do setup.
    JMHO and I have watched the videos.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

hey matt, let us know how it turns out, ok? i've been looking at one of those stockroom supply sanders with a bit of interest!