Thread: Woodworking class opening at Kelly Mehler's.

Woodworking class opening at Kelly Mehler's.

If the moderators deem this to be unacceptable, please remove it.

I am not affiliated with the school, except as a student who has enjoyed its classes.

I am going to attend a drop leaf table class at www kellymehler com in October. I have just heard there are two openings in the class due to late cancellations.

Kelly's classes are outstanding. I have taken several and others on this board have as well. If you look at his website, they typically sell out well in advance. This is an unusual opportunity to get to attend, so if you can make plans this late in the game, I would consider it.

Kelly has a plan posted on his website, but is well known for his flexibility and latitude in project design. In other words, you don't make the same table everyone else does, you make the one that fits your wood and your (wife's?) needs.

Class sizes are small usually around 9 people max. This makes for a better learning environment, IMHO. His style is to present a lecture on the next task that needs to be done, then allow students to work on the task. You will have plenty of one on one time for questions and special problems unique to your particular plans.

See you there?
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Have Fun

What a great opportunity. I'm out of time off for the year after a two week vacation right before that class.

I have one of those BIG birthdays next year (ya know, the ones that end in zero, this one starts with a five - yikes) and that is how I plan to celebrate!!

Where do you fly into and where do you stay - if I may be so bold.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Jones View Post
    I have one of those BIG birthdays next year (ya know, the ones that end in zero, this one starts with a five - yikes)
    Been there...done that...in March. And wait 'til you see all the AARP solicitations that start showing up in your mailbox!

----
    Martin, that's a fine opportunity. 'Wish I could do it, but I can't. Oh, well...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Jones View Post
    What a great opportunity. I'm out of time off for the year after a two week vacation right before that class.

I have one of those BIG birthdays next year (ya know, the ones that end in zero, this one starts with a five - yikes) and that is how I plan to celebrate!!

Where do you fly into and where do you stay - if I may be so bold.

TJ
    TJ, I drive to Berea, which allows me to take all my personal tools and lumber. If you fly, you will need to ship your tools in advance and Kelly will hold them for you. You cannot take tools in the passenger cabin, but can put them in the luggage. I'd rather not do that if I can help it. You can fly into Lexington, KY, about an hour or so north. I camp out, which makes me cheap, but allows me to take more classes. You may buy lumber from Kelly or bring your own. I like to bring my own, but Kelly has nice stuff too. If you want to attend next year, sign up will start around early October, and the classes, being small, will fill fast. Berea is a neat little town, with lots of interesting shops and local crafts. Also, it is not too far from the Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill. If you want to take a class from Lonnie Bird (google for his website), his classes are almost all sold out. He also makes you take a "beginner" class, which Kelly does not, although Kelly will indicate which classes would be best for beginners and more experienced folks. Hint: don't make the dovetail blanket chest your first class if you have never cut dovetails before. My chest looks ok, but would have been much better if I had waited a few years to have a little more experience with hand cutting DT's.

Almost forgot, if you don't want to rough it, Kelly has discounted rates from local hotels.

PM me if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

[QUOTE=Jim Becker;663037]Been there...done that...in March. And wait 'til you see all the AARP solicitations that start showing up in your mailbox!

I have a friend who turned 50 a year ago and she got her AARP mailings about six months ahead of time.

I wouldn't mind, if I was a "retired person" by the time I turn 50 in March

TJ

Thanks Martin!

I sent a PM with a few more questions.

Have a great time.

TJ

I went to his cabinet makeing class and had a blast. Great food and everyone was kind and was very informative. Kelly is a super guy and very knowledgable in the craft. A few little things he showed me makes a world of differance in the looks of a cabinet. Nancy, the instructor, was a wealth of info and has lots of traditional info on old style cabinerts. I would recomend it highly
    Reg
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of courage--to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

Martin, I'm always envious of the classes you get to go to. Sounds like it would be fun. Love to fill the void. I just don't lead the jet-set lifestyle that you do

Have fun!