View Poll Results: Which Assembly Table / Bench?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Short

11 42.31%
  • Tall

7 26.92%
  • T Track

5 19.23%
  • Brian Gray Style MFT

5 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Assembly Table Ideas-Which One and Why?

Assembly Table Ideas-Which One and Why?

I've been drooling over the workbenches and assembly tables that I have been studying in this forum and others. Here are four versions that I have been working on in Sketchup.

Tell me which one(s) you like best and why.

Each version has some advantages and disadvantages.

1) The short version will be quicker to build and the best height for assembling cabinets and cutting down stuff with some foam and a guided saw. It has the least storage and no clamping capability.

2) The taller version adds some storage and is the same height as my table saw. Again, no clamping capability, except for the edges of the table.

3) The T Track version has as much storage as the tall version, but adds a lot of capability with the tracks installed. Track is expensive.

4) The David Gray style large MFT is probably my favorite. I am like my 1080 MFT and have always wanted to build a large MFT. If you are not familiar with the MFT, the holes in the work surface and the extrusions around the perimeter of the top offer a crazy number of options.

Why not just build the MFT version? There are over 200 holes that need to be routed into the top and about 50 larger holes that need to be routed with a circle cutting jig on the bottom. The 4" space below the top cuts into my storage and I will probably always have sawdust working it's way out of the torsion box. Did I mention that this is my favorite?

The are all designed with torsion box construction based on articles by David Marks, Mark Spagnuolo, and Ian Kirby. The lower torsion box is based on an article about the Ultimate Tool Stand by Christopher Merrill.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I was planning to continue this thread with some progress photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Make it easy on yourself, I did, and made this one from Norm.
    http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?0207.jpg

rick, what's norm using for the tabletop? BTW roland, you found the right forum and it looks like you're getting pretty proficient with that sketchup. my previous assembly table was just two sheets of 1/2" ply covered with laminate on a 2x4 base. i've since hacked the base apart and will probably be building two cabinets as well as a smaller table top to use as a combination outfeed/assembly table.
    Last edited by frank shic; 09-21-2007 at 6:21 PM.

I think that the best assembly workstation for woodworkers who do a variety of projects is one that can be variable height. It's about comfort and and access. Putting a vanity or similar size piece on a low bench makes for a much more pleasant experience than having it on the floor. Putting a small project, such as a jewelry box on a higher surface gets your eyes and hands closer to where they need to be with less back strain.

The simplest method to do this is to make a quality flat work surface (a torsion box or a solid core door that you know is flat will work great) and then build four rectangular boxes that can provide three different working heights. In lieu of the boxes you could build any number of knock-down "horses" to provide the same utility. And when you're going to work on that highboy or armoire...you put the whole thing away and just use the floor.

Some folks have also used a hydraulic table to provide "true variable height" for an assembly setup. My workbench does double duty and for that reason, I have an Adjust-A-Bench with a large surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

ABC Boxes

Here is a link to a discussion on ABC boxes. I think it is the type of arrangement Jim is talking about in his response.

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=17840

I am thinking about coupling these boxes (I would use four instead of three as the article suggests) with a torsion box.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... My workbench does double duty and for that reason, I have an Adjust-A-Bench with a large surface.
    Right now I'm using the dining table that I made about 30 years ago, but as soon as I can afford the legs I'm going with what Jim has. I'm even planning on using them for work bench legs.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I use a variant of the abc boxes that Teresa mentioned, coupled with two of I-beams to support work between the boxes. My system that was recently described by Robert Lang in Popular Woodworking. Lang calls them "shop boxes".

The boxes give three heights (16", 22" and 26") depending on how they are oriented. The I-beams provide strong support up to 8' long, and can the whole shebang can be stored away in a relatively small space.

I've attached a sketchup image of the boxes. The I-beams are made with three strips of ~5" wide plywood.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Jones View Post
    Here is a link to a discussion on ABC boxes. I think it is the type of arrangement Jim is talking about in his response.
    That is exactly what I was referring to, Theresa!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bigger is better so long as you can fit it in.

I built mine HUGE and with removable legs so I can stand it up out of the way.

I really wanted to make the large storage cabinets underneath, but now you guys have got me thinking about making the top removable so that I could do the ABC box thing.

Anyone using the T Track on their benches or assembly tables? I really want to do the MFT treatment to the top, but I am dreading drilling or routing all of those holes.

At the AWFS, I told that guy with the downdraft sanding tables that he should offer the top with storage only underneath - he thought that I was messing with him. Check these tables out:
    http://www.sandmanproducts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by frank shic View Post
    ....what's norm using for the tabletop?....
    Frank, Norm uses 1/2" MDF on his assembly table.......That very episode is airing tonight on DIY network (one of two episodes) where he builds the assembly table and the clamp rack!

NYW on DIY comes on at 8:30 (in my neck-o-the-woods )

Check it out!
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

12. It would sure be nice if you could build the low version and then take your time to build the two level MFT to be clamped temporarily to the low height assembly table when needed. I just don't know how you would handle storage/lifting it onto the low height assy Table. In a perfect world.....

I guess second idea is to to build the Low height assy table, lower box structure of MFT, then the MFT table itself so you can have a Low Height Assy, High height Assy, High MFT. You would probably want low MFT but alas....
    Last edited by Todd Kinsfather; 09-22-2007 at 9:06 PM.

Todd,

I think that you are onto something. I would have to build this project in stages anyway. I actually have the major components already circled in different colored highliter to help remind me of that.

I could drop the height of the cabinet openings or gain the precious inches by making them frameless. The cabinets will already be sitting on a torsion box with wheels. If I build the cabinets carefully, a replaceable top of melamine or mdf should be as flat as that lower torsion box with the wheels attached. I could try to make a lighter version of the upper MFT/Torsion box and supports that could be removeable.

I'll try to draw this up in sketchup. Maybe a couple of ABC boxes for a temporary stand when the top is off of the assembly table.

Adjustable Height assembly table

Apparently Shopnotes #30 has an adjustable height table. Pix by a guy who built it and discussion about plans is here in the BT3 Central forum
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=Shopnotes

more pix here
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=assembly