Thread: cost on baltic birch

Question cost on baltic birch

How much does 3/4 baltic birch sell for ? Mikie

I JUST PAID $23.00 FOR A 5x5 SHEET OF 3/4 " IN Riverside CA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kuykendall
    I JUST PAID $23.00 FOR A 5x5 SHEET OF 3/4 " IN Riverside CA

Where? It is $50.00 a sheet here in Lancaster, CA.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

I get it at Reel Lumber in Riverside, Here is there web site
    http://www.reellumber.com/
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Robins
    Where? It is $50.00 a sheet here in Lancaster, CA.

There are different grades of Baltic Birch so comparing prices without knowing is like comparing apples to oranges. I have run across 5' x 5' sheets that have defects on both sides which should be a bit cheaper than with no defects on one side. I get my 3/4" from a local lumber yard with no defects on one side for about $45. I was buying 1/2" from a closer lumber yard until he started getting the lesser quality versions. I had to show him he was getting inferior stuff.

Russian Birch, also known as Baltic Birch, is a multi-ply plywood known for its strength and edge quality. It's used for drawer sides, toys, children's furniture, seat bottoms & backs, jigs and fixture boards. In fact, it can be used anywhere for superior strength or exposed edge applications. Once you've used it, you'll wonder where it's been all your life!

Russian Birch Grades

GRADE B Select One side has an uniform appearance and is typically free from defect.

GRADE BB One side is generally light and uniform in colour. Pine knots and small sound tight knots are allowed. Occasional football patches are colour matched to the veneer. Sanding is smooth

GRADE CP One side is similar to grade BB in quality. Sound knots and patches may be more common that BB grade. Small open splits, knot holes and double patche3s are allowed. It may have some streaks and discolorations. Sanding is smooth.

GRADE C Open defects (all sound), streaks and discolorations are allowed. Does not have to be sanded.

The stuff I am getting is 3/4 13 ply and it must be B grade or higher . It if free of plugs and defects on both sides. Reel Lumber has very good prices and products. I bought some 4/4 Hard maple select and better for $4.80 BF.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
    Russian Birch, also known as Baltic Birch, is a multi-ply plywood known for its strength and edge quality. It's used for drawer sides, toys, children's furniture, seat bottoms & backs, jigs and fixture boards. In fact, it can be used anywhere for superior strength or exposed edge applications. Once you've used it, you'll wonder where it's been all your life!

Russian Birch Grades

GRADE B Select One side has an uniform appearance and is typically free from defect.

GRADE BB One side is generally light and uniform in colour. Pine knots and small sound tight knots are allowed. Occasional football patches are colour matched to the veneer. Sanding is smooth

GRADE CP One side is similar to grade BB in quality. Sound knots and patches may be more common that BB grade. Small open splits, knot holes and double patche3s are allowed. It may have some streaks and discolorations. Sanding is smooth.

GRADE C Open defects (all sound), streaks and discolorations are allowed. Does not have to be sanded.

Thanks for the information!
    Old age can be better than the alternative.