Thread: wall advice

wall advice

im planning on building a beefy wall in front of the garage door for noise and heat, but mainly noise. how well would a wall with 2 layers of 5/8 dry wall on each side with Rolex's safe n sound insulation work at keeping the noise levels outside the garage low? i also plan on adding weather striping around the perimeter of the wall so the wall isnt actually contacting the ceiling or other walls. thanks guys.

anyone, before i waste my time/money?

Hello,
    IMHO - 5/8" - even a single layer - let alone two double layers - is serious overkill.
    Sound will deaden in soft materials - such as insulation - and deflect via baffles.
    If you want to minimize sound transfer, a soft coat on the interior portion will go a lot further towards doing it.

What you might want to do is go out check the walls of the "listening" rooms for home theaters and stereos for some ideas on how to create/form a sound deflecting & absorbing surface.

(FWIW - if your still wanting to use > 1" of wall material, I'd suggest using 3/8" drywall instead. If you put one layer on horizontal, then another layer verticle, then the third layer back horizontal, you get a "plywood" effect. It's much, much, much stronger espcially if you use adhesive to apply the layers. You can "whack" it with a 4# sledge and it'll do very little damage.)(plus it's one heck of a lot easier to horse around than 5/8" - -ouch! -my back winces even at the thought)
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 09-22-2007 at 7:01 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I think Rich may be on to something here!

Although I have never done it, the first thing that came to mind was the tiles used on ceilings, to "quiet down" a room. I would probably investigate gluing these to the door surface.

The tiles might not be thick enough to provide much insulation, though...

Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by nick brigg View Post
    anyone, before i waste my time/money?
    Um...Nick...you posted your question after midnight ET...patience my friend!

Yes, a double layer of 5/8" drywall will provide additional sound abatement and you can enhance that with an air gap between them. You can get acoustic channel that is designed to give you that gap between the layers. Put insulation under the first layer to provide the benefits that Rich details. A soft material on the face will help to eliminate reflection and cut high-frequency sound levels. The wall, itself, needs to deal with the lower frequencies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Um...Nick...you posted your question after midnight ET...patience my friend!

haha being impatient and a night owl doesn't mix i guess...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-22-2007 at 3:03 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging

Try various searches to get more info on this subject. I think that I found some disussion on this matter when asking about a special drywall that offered noise protection with one sheet than 6 or 8 sheets of regular dw. You might find some messages regarding the reduction of noise in closets built for cyclone dust collectors. Someone mentioned good success using pegboard for the surface layer - something about it breaking up the acoustic waves instead of reflecting them.

Those ceiling tiles are sometimes called acoustic tiles. I bet a surface layer of the rough ones would make a big difference. The threads that I was viewing were very serious about sound control - they mentioned that the noise would be transmitted from the surface of the drywall to the stud via the screws.

Somewhere i recall reading that an effective sound wall would not be attached to the same studs on both sides. In other words the studs would be constructed in a 2x6 plate and header in an offset manner so that the outer wallboards attach to the studs as shown in the sketch.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

yeah im really re-considering the wall, it'll be such a pain in the ass. what about those acoustic blankets i've been seeing, anyone have any experience with those?

since i already started a thread ill go off topic and ask if any has had any experience with the Shop Fox jointer and planer with spiral heads?

Quote Originally Posted by nick brigg View Post
    since i already started a thread ill go off topic and ask if any has had any experience with the Shop Fox jointer and planer with spiral heads?
    Suggest you start a new thread so that the topic attracts attention...it's buried here.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...