Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: N.E. Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    ............I do, though, have a bit of friendly advice for them. Back in the 80s, when it was the chargers winning all the time, we never felt comfortable unless they were *at least* three touchdowns ahead.........
    Um, BIll?....I'm confused. This is the San Diego Win/Lose records in the 80's taken from the NFL website:

1989 ----- 6 wins and 10 losses
    1988 ----- 6 and 10
    1987 ----- 8 and 7
    1986 ----- 4 and 12
    1985 ----- 8 and 8
    1984 ----- 7 and 9
    1983 ----- 6 and 10
    1982 ----- 6 and 3
    1981 ---- 10 and 6
    1980 ---- 11 and 5

Also, they've never won a Super Bowl and have only played in one, at the end of the 1994 season (Jan. 29,1995), in which they were beaten quite handily by the Niners, 49 to 26.

Just wanted to clear that up.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 01-17-2008 at 8:55 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

H
    I do, though, have a bit of friendly advice for them. Back in the 80s, when it was the chargers winning all the time, we never felt comfortable unless they were *at least* three touchdowns ahead. Stuff happens...

Bill
    HUH?? I lived in San Diego from 1982 until 1990....10 minutes from the murph....refresh my memory as to all these winning seasons you speak of? I saw many many games where i thought they should be called the 3 and outs...instead of the chargers. I hated dan fouts!!!!!

But i did see lots of aztec games and i lived to watch the Pads!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios View Post
    Um, BIll?....I'm confused. This is the San Diego Win/Lose records in the 80's taken from the NFL website:

1989 ----- 6 wins and 10 losses
    1988 ----- 6 and 10
    1987 ----- 8 and 7
    1986 ----- 4 and 12
    1985 ----- 8 and 8
    1984 ----- 7 and 9
    1983 ----- 6 and 10
    1982 ----- 6 and 3
    1981 ---- 10 and 6
    1980 ---- 11 and 5

Also, they've never won a Super Bowl and have only played in one, at the end of the 1994 season (Jan. 29,1995), in which they were beaten quite handily by the Niners, 49 to 26.

Just wanted to clear that up.
    thanks mark...I thought I missed something there ..I know I am getting old and forgetful...but I sure remember the chargers of the 80's as sucking pretty bad!!!

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    I sure will be glad when it is finally over and you guys can get back to reality. Don't you know Alabama's season is over with and football doesn't start again until Sep2008.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

I just added up the wins and losses for the mighty Chargers for the 1980's. 72 wins and 80 losses. Not even a .500 decade. Hmmmmm...........maybe it was that one strike shortened year.
    Mark Rios

Boy, you guys are getting just a tad rabid. You "hated" a hall of famer? Geez...

I checked, that houston game was in the late 70's. I must be getting old...

Honestly. I hope you guys enjoy the game. Sheesh!

Thanks,

Bill

Hmm... Thursday evening. By now, doubt should be slipping into the minds of NE fans. Oh, and concerns. By Sunday evening, they may regret some of their more overzealous statements.

We were *certain* the game was in the bag.

I'm just saying....

Thanks,

Bill
    No worries about New Englanders putting the cart before the horse Bill.
    The Red Sox taught them that lesson long ago.,

Hmm... Thursday evening. By now, doubt should be slipping into the minds of NE fans. Oh, and concerns. By Sunday evening, they may regret some of their more overzealous statements.

Bill
    I think you will find that 99 percent of NE fans are way too superstitious to predict anything but a well fought game by both teams....we know that the entire world is rooting against us, and that no matter if we win the next too games or not we will never get the respect that other great teams have got. But we are fine with that...lets just play the game and see who is the better team

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I think you will find that 99 percent of NE fans are way too superstitious to predict anything but a well fought game by both teams....we know that the entire world is rooting against us, and that no matter if we win the next too games or not we will never get the respect that other great teams have got. But we are fine with that...lets just play the game and see who is the better team
    Your right about that,Tim. Us New Englanders don't count our chickens before their hatched.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Your right about that,Tim. Us New Englanders don't count our chickens before their hatched.

Gary

Chickens?....I thought chickens were illegal in Massachusetts unless you married one. Oh wait.....maybe that's New Hampshire.

Mark Rios

"The Red Sox taught them that lesson long ago."

Yep. I'm a long time red sox fan. I was in Boston (living right under the Citgo sign, on Bay State Road) when Buckner booted that grounder.

Stuff happens.

Thanks,

Bill

"The Red Sox taught them that lesson long ago."

Yep. I'm a long time red sox fan. I was in Boston (living right under the Citgo sign, on Bay State Road) when Buckner booted that grounder.

Stuff happens.

Thanks,

Bill
    Passed that sign many times riding the Green Line back and forth.
    They still talk about that error, in Boston, as if the game was yesterday. I don't even know if Buckner is allowed in Boston to this day.

They really destroyed Buckner's life up in Boston for that error.

In fact he was so distraught about it that he eventually tried to take his own life by stepping in front of moving a bus.

... but it went through his legs.

Further off topic, for you baseball fans here, there's a great book called "The Echoing Green" which tells the story of the "shot heard round the world", Bobby Thompson's home run off Dodger pitcher Ralph Branca to win the '51 pennant for the Giants, and the alleged sign stealing by the Giants.

The story follows the men years afterward, Branca branded a loser and Thompson, an uncomfortable hero, adversaries who later become business partners and friends. Interesting reading.

And now back to our regularly scheduled game.
    If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
    Further off topic, for you baseball fans here, there's a great book called "The Echoing Green" which tells the story of the "shot heard round the world", Bobby Thompson's home run off Dodger pitcher Ralph Branca to win the '51 pennant for the Giants, and the alleged sign stealing by the Giants.

The story follows the men years afterward, Branca branded a loser and Thompson, an uncomfortable hero, adversaries who later become business partners and friends. Interesting reading.

And now back to our regularly scheduled game.

Hmmmm........interesting Mike. Maybe the 1951 New York, sign stealing Giants had a secret partnership with the 2007 New England Patriots. Hmmmm.......some further investigation may be warranted here.
    Mark Rios