Thread: Grizzly Edge Sander-What Do You Think?

Grizzly Edge Sander-What Do You Think?

I’m thinking about acquiring an edge sander in the future, perhaps the Grizzly G0563 (2HP, 6x89) or G0564 (3HP, 6x108). For those of you with one of these, or who has looked at them, I would be interested in your thoughts:

What operations do you use it for?
    Do you also have a disc sander, or does the edge sander replace the disc sander?
    How is dust collection?
    Is the spindle attachment very useful? From reading the manual, it appears that there is no dust collection when using the spindle attachment.
    Do you find yourself using the fence or miter gauge track much?
    What grit belt do you use most often?
    Overall, is it a quality machine?

I have a Performax 22/44, which I use primarily for smoothing panels, and sometimes for edges. It looks as though I could find a lot of uses for a quality edge sander.

Hi Russ, I have the Delta and love it. It is the same as the 3 hp Grizzly. I would have bought the Grizzly, but got the Delta cheaper because I bought it with 2 other large tools.

I havent had a chance to use the spindles, it looks like kinda a hassle to switch back and forth. I just use the end of the main drum for curved work.

I mainly use 150 grit, the oscillation really gives a good finish. The Delta is a quality unit, so Im sure the Grizzly is also. I dont think you will be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Brewer View Post
    I just use the end of the main drum for curved work.
    Jay, when you use the end of the main drum, is there any dust collection?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Russ Mullins View Post
    I’m thinking about acquiring an edge sander in the future, perhaps the Grizzly G0563 (2HP, 6x89) or G0564 (3HP, 6x108). For those of you with one of these, or who has looked at them, I would be interested in your thoughts:

***I have the Grizzly 1531

*** Sanding edges mainly, some shallow curves, chamfers, shaping.

Do you also have a disc sander, or does the edge sander replace the disc sander?

***I use both, but the disc can be used for different operations since the movement is down into the table. With the edge sander, the movement is lateral, so there are control issues. You have to pay more attention that you don't dub something.

How is dust collection?

***Pretty good when using the edge. So-so when using the spindle at the end--most that dust collects on the table. Not much airborne though.

Is the spindle attachment very useful?

***Yeah, but only for small pieces. I also have a Ryobi oscillating spindle sander and the spindle end of the edge sander does NOT replace it. I only use the spindle end for hogging off something with deep curves on small pieces. It's worthless for what you would use a spindle sander for.

From reading the manual, it appears that there is no dust collection when using the spindle attachment.

*** See above. It's works so-so.

***Never

***It works. The adjustments on the spindle table (it's so small, it's pratically worthless) are terrible. Thumb screws. But I don't use it much.

I have a Performax 22/44, which I use primarily for smoothing panels, and sometimes for edges. It looks as though I could find a lot of uses for a quality edge sander.
    ***It's really handy. I do all kinds of things with it that I never thought I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Mullins View Post
    I’m thinking about acquiring an edge sander in the future, perhaps the Grizzly G0563 (2HP, 6x89) or G0564 (3HP, 6x108). For those of you with one of these, or who has looked at them, I would be interested in your thoughts.
    I have the General International 6x89, which I assume is very similar to the Grizzly.

Edges, ends, faces when I can.

No, and don't feel I need one.

How is dust collection?
    Not great, but a challenge to make it better.

Is the spindle attachment very useful?...
    Hardly ever use it. Use an oscillating spindle sander instead.

I often use the miter gauge when sanding end grain, to keep it square (especially for narrow boards). Very easy to burn endgrain, btw. Have never moved the fence and sanded from the back side. Maybe I should try that.

120 and 180.

Yes, and extremely useful--I use it every day. A great buy.

You forgot to ask which one you should get, the 6x89 or 6x108. Answer: if you have the room and budget, I'd recommend the 108. Not a vast improvement, but sometimes I want to sand boards that are a bit too long for my 89. I don't think going from 2hp to 3hp would be important, however.

Cary

3 hp Grizzly

I have the 3 hp Grizzly and its a beast. Very strong and you must be careful so you dont take off to much. Ive had the smaller table before and was definitely glad to upgrade to the 108 inch belt. Very heavy machine. Spindle assembly is nice but the the semi circular table attachment makes its usefulness limited. The machine is nice though and would recommend it. Very heavy duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Parker View Post
    Spindle assembly is nice but the the semi circular table attachment makes its usefulness limited.
    Are you referring to the size of the table?

I went to the grizzly showroom intending to buy the tabletop G1531 6x80 sander, and bought the G0563 instead. Yes, it is 2.5 times the price, but it is 10 times the machine. The G1531 table supports and tilting arm were made out of stamped steel, and did not look very sturdy. Everything about the G0563 says "heavy duty", and it is a wonderful machine. Quiet, stable, strong, vibration free... I love it. It is probably the highest quality tool in my workshop. This is one machine that I will never need to upgrade (of course, it is also the most expensive machine in my workshop)... I wish that I had been in the same fram of mind when I went shopping for a bandsaw... I would be poorer and happier.

One thing that is probably obvious to everyone (but me) is that the spindle sander drum attachment does NOT oscillate.

I use a miter gauge in the slot frequently.

I use 120 and 150 grit paper.

Dust collection is so-so, and non-existant for the spindle sander. I am not sure that there would really be a way to improve it.

The only problem that I have had is when sanding small objects. The work rest is about 1" off of the table, so for very small parts it is inconvenient to use. It is not safe to sand small objects without using this rest, since if (when) they get snatch from your fingers, they will get pulled into the drum, jamming (and ripping) the sanding paper. There is alot of momentum and power in this thing, and the sudden halt can actually cause the 5/16" thick steel angle supporting the motor to bend. Trust me, all of this happened to me. Easily solved by shimming the motor attachment with a 1/4" shim once I figured out why I could not get another piece of sandpaper to fit on the machines.

So maybe there is a reason to still have a disc sander.

Once I eventually have some more shop rearrangement done (lumber storage upstairs, etc.) my plans include adding an edge sander and the Grizzly will be on the short list. I wish I would have bought one instead of the combo sander as it would be more in line with my true needs. I never use the disk!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Russ,
    I have the 1140(floor model of the 1531) and use it all the time. I plan to upgrade to an oscillating model at some point. I went to the showroom and it is good to see the models side by side. The primary advantage of the 0564 would be the table and platen size. Both would have penty of power and all the adjustments are very similar. IIRC, both have the capacity to slide the table close to the belt so thin pieces would not be a problem. Instead of the miter gauge, I make L-shape jigs/fences out of 3/4 melamine with gussets and clamp to the table. Tends to be more accurate and stable. Good luck, Jon.

Just a generic thought...

Just a generic thought...

I had both combo belt/disc sander and an edge sander. I sold the combo belt/disc sander. The edge sander is great for fixiing boo-boos, and to clean up miters. I wish my edge sander was oscillating though. 20 years ago, the selection of edge sanders was not as attractive as today's choices.

I recommend that you also buy some very rough grits (40 or 60 grit) to hog away wood. I don't recommend a grit higher than 120, but perhaps an oscillating model will let you go higher without clogging the paper or making burn marks on the wood. These machines can be quite aggressive. The belt speed is pretty fast.

-Jeff