Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .eps?

.eps?

I changed a file from corel to .eps yesterday. Isn't it supposed to be a vector drawing? Looked like a bad jpeg.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

If the file starts out as a vector image, yes.
    If the image started out as a .jpeg/.bmp saving it as a .eps will just be a .jpeg/.bmp saved into a .eps format.
    I just tried to export an image as a .eps and I don't see a setting that will turn a already vector image into a really bad raster. But then again I am not the worlds best when it comes to Corel Draw.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

Hi Kevin,
    Yes it's a Corel drawing, vector, hairline....
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Looks like I can save as a tiff or a wma? Export as curves or text? Am I just lost on this one? It doesn't make sense to me.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

Brian,

Why don't you just publish it to a PDF. It will retain the vector image.

Good idea, .eps was requested but that may work better.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

You could also try .ai, .dxf, .plt those are all vector file types.
    I know a .tif is a raster file, I am not sure about wme.

Or pdf, it is vector also, good call Mike.
    Kevin W. Huffman II
    Pinnacle Laser

I sent it in .pdf I hope they can use it.
    I hope they let me know something!
    Am I the only one that has a very tough time when
    I try to farm out work?
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I prefer to get .pdf files, particularly when a customer has a 'mac' When someone says their sending me the file in .eps format, I 'always' end up with a low res bitmap, or the dreaded 'dogpaw print'.. If they know what 'convert text to curves' means, I usually have no problems at all importing any vector artwork
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

This person can only use a .eps file. I sent a .pdf but it's not working for her.
    Brian Robison
    MetalMarkers
    Epilog Mini
    Rabbit 1290

I have had trouble extracting vector images out of pdf files. I can select text or images, but when trying to select a vector image, it doesn't work. Is this a security thing, or is there a setting in acrobat reader?

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

EPS (encapsulated post script) format is often used in the ADOBE domain, primarily Illustrator and to a lessor degree Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Winlund View Post
    I have had trouble extracting vector images out of pdf files. I can select text or images, but when trying to select a vector image, it doesn't work. Is this a security thing, or is there a setting in acrobat reader?

Mark
    I get pdfs from customers and have no problem opening them in X3. Acrobat Reader is just that, a reader program so you cannot do anything with the file.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

It could very well be the security. Open up the reader, click on "Document" at the top, then "Security" and then "Show Security Properties". Make sure the "security" tab is selected. It'll tell you what you can and can't do with that pdf file.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Brian
    If I understand right - you exported it as a eps - then tried to import to check it? Make sure when you import it that you have the "type of file" setting at PS, PRN, EPS. If you leave it at All File Formats then you will get a fuzzy jpg-y look to the import even tho the file is a good vector eps.