Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bathroom vanity ideas

Chris, did you use aluminum corner bead? You ususally use it on outside corners with drywall. I've made a few alcoves myself in the past and that's what I used, made it real easy.

Be well,

Doc

BTW: I like the way the lights make the "throne" glow

The insets were framed in since I did a full gut of the room and then drywalled over. The back of the insets is simply the back of the drywall on the other side of the wall...I just mudded it relatively thickly. I did use Al corner beading.

The issue with mudding and taping was difficult with the magazine rack due to its small size and you can only do opposite sides at a time. In the end, I ended up cutting down a cheapie plastic drywall knife to help with spreading the mud smoothly but I still don't have the technique down.

Here are a few more shots I took last night of the "medicine" (towel) cabinet above the throne.

Basically, I just made a square box and then dadoed away about a 1/4" or so all the way around to inset the box. We wanted just that extra couple of inches of depth in order to house several towels more easily. While doing that, I came up with the idea of adding a small extension to house the Glade spray (lilac aroma no less!).

My routing of the rabbett for the glass didn't turn out so well but I was in a hurry and tried to be too perfect with getting the glass seated but you don't usually see this side anyway so oh well.

Thanks very much, Everyone, for your kind thoughts. I guess my wife does know colors!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-04-2004 at 5:05 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris I really like

I have been designing an upgrade to our master bath, may wish to hijack a couple of ideas. The mag rack is a great idea.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Scott,
    I'll email you a little form to fill out with a small filing fee and then you are free to use any of the ideas!

My wife picked out a drawer pull to use for the mag rack holder. If you go that route (and you should try and steer CLEAR of it!), let me know and I'll tell you what I did to cleanly install it. I even have some leftover parts that I could give you that might help depending on your situation.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-04-2004 at 5:18 PM.

I see that it seems to be a real interesting way to do it, since you can't easily get to the back to screw. I'll let you know when I get that far. I am going to a home remodeling show this weekend and may get some ideas for cabinets and other things. I don't plan to start until at least this spring.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Vanity update

Here is the vanity idea after some dimensional tweaking to make it fit my location. The top is 60" X 23" and is 31" high. What is a standard vanity height? The front of the vanity has a door on each side and a set of 3 drawers in the middle. I didn't want to take the time to add all of that detail since I did this in Unigraphics and I don't have enough time during lunch to make a real model.

Feedback on the overall appearance? I'm not sure I like the resulting proportions, but the space is only 68" wide and I want it to look freestanding, hence the 60".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nathan,

The height should be something that is comfortable to you and your family.

I had a lot of fun getting my height right. For starters, I had to make sure I was damn accurate about it since my faucet went into the wall! On top of that, I pulled out the old floor.

Just make sure you measure everything carefully and then go ahead and build the legs a tad longer just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Hoffman
    Here is the vanity idea after some dimensional tweaking to make it fit my location. The top is 60" X 23" and is 31" high. What is a standard vanity height...

31" seems a bit low. I just tore one out that was 32", and I've been uncomfortable with it for a long time. My 5'0" tall wife decided she wants one between 34 & 35" high, so that's what I'm currently working on.

FWIW, that'll make it about an inch lower than my workbench, which is a very comfortable height, so I figure it ought to work quite well. YMMV