Thread: Adding 3 letter words to search

Adding 3 letter words to search

Hello all moderators and administrators. I see where the search function automatically removes 3 letter and smaller words from the search string. I was wondering if there was anyway to add certain words so that they would come up anyway. Key words that are extremely relevant to our trade such as "saw" "bit" "PVC" and some others that I have found that would be very useful if they would work in a search. The other day I tried searching for the key phrase 6" PVC duct. Well as you can guess I got nothing but duct. Since we deal with measurements all the time shouldnt one be able to enter 1" 2" or 1' or 10'?? How bout it guys??

Thanks and keep up the good work you all do here it is very much appreciated!!

Jim Kountz
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

I believe that Aaron did add a very limited number. But the reason they are not there is that the vBulletin search simply goes bananas with them. If you need to search on three letter stuff...use the Google search.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... simply goes bananas ...
    Probably a mathematical problem, but I don't know why. IIRC, the uspto search returns something like "unable to parse" on three-letter strings. Google likely has a more robust engine.

Joe

It can parse them, but the results are overwhelming for some reason if I'm remembering previous conversations about this correctly...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can use a string like the one below on Google.com

bit site:sawmillcreek.org

The first word "bit" is the three letter search word, the rest is the string. Just use what ever 3 letter word you want.

There's also a Google search box directly under the Search menu at the top of each page.

The vBulletin search function is simply rather inefficient; it can consume as many as 30+ MB of memory per search; that grows exponentially as the word size decreases. (Google is just better for most searches)
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator