Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Making of a 12" x 4' staved column

Brian, I enjoyed your show and tell. Nice work. Impressive shop set-up. I sure wish I had room for a lathe like that.

Smile Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Brian, I enjoyed your show and tell. Nice work. Impressive shop set-up. I sure wish I had room for a lathe like that.

Malcolm,
    Thank you first of all, but actually my shop is small ~ 440sq ft, so I have to utilize all the space I have. All of my equipment is on wheels with the exception of the Oliver 20C pattern lathe and my PM table saw. Otherwise it would be so cluttered and I just wouldn't be able to cope with that. You have to make the best out of what you have, I am not going to pay rent for a studio shop ~ I just can't see spending the money - I am a "one man show" so I have learned through trial and error how to use the space and it has worked out very well. i have a lot of room to do what ever I need to work on and it takes me 1 min to set up any of the other machines I have.
    thank you
    Brian

Brian, your shop might be small, but it's almost twice the size of mine (264 sq ft). I'm also a "one man show" and with most tools on wheels, I make it work. Our local environmental land coverage restrictions prevent me from ever enlarging and I don't want to re-locate.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Tibbetts View Post
    Brian, your shop might be small, but it's almost twice the size of mine (264 sq ft). I'm also a "one man show" and with most tools on wheels, I make it work. Our local environmental land coverage restrictions prevent me from ever enlarging and I don't want to re-locate.

WTG Malcolm~ as long as the operation of the shop is smooth and safe and there are no major drawbacks- why change a good thing and waist the money. I often thought about it but all that will do is stress me out, shorten my life span- and what for 460 extra sq feet- no thanks! Have a great night Malcolm
    Brian
    Brian

Post update ~ Well,

I have made some progress - I have the bottom and top of the column cap end's completed and the cabinets - this is the red oxblood NGR and Red mahogany with no seal coat yet applied- just wanted to see how it was going to come out- working on the entablature tomorrow. - this is a rough in - no where near being finished but getting close- the fronts open up and are hinged -I'll keep this updated when I get the chance.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 12-13-2007 at 10:50 PM.