Thread: tool sets vs onesey twosie

tool sets vs onesey twosie

I have some shopsmith tools that came with my lathe. They are okay. They dont hold the worlds best edge...

I also have a 3/8 pinnacle bowl gouge that I love

I'm looking at the 8 piece set at woodcraft http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5238

I Know I would end up with 2 bowl gouges, but is replacing my cruddy set with a set a good idea? I love the long handles on the pinnacle set...

opinions, please?

Thanks.

I have the same set, I traded some turning wood for it. They are good working tools. You will have to regrind at least one of the gouges (I think), but the steel is good.
    Two "negatives":
    1.They are made in China.
    2.There will probably be tools that will just sit. I sell on eBay and just divested myself of all the dusty tools I could find, those with too much dust on them have yet to be found. My point here is that you MIGHT find that your money will serve you better buying fewer tools, more specific to your style.
    Change One Thing

Adam,

buy a set of $35 harbor freight chisel they are hss and decent. then buy other tools as you need them, I still use alot of those chisels.

btw that 3/8 pinnicale bowl gouge is my favorite bowl gouge, I have a crown pm 1/2 with an ellsworth grind and some others but the 3/8 gets used on most things I do for something wether it be bowl or spindle.

Bob

For the price, the HF set isn't a bad investment; better than carbon steel at least. But, there's hss and there's HSS; not all HsS's are created equal - these don't hold an edge quite as well as my Henry Taylor bowl gouge. (from CSUSA - great folks to deal with, BTW)

Joe

how long are the handles on that HF Set?
    Last edited by adam tracksler; 09-27-2007 at 9:38 AM. Reason: spelling

tools

the trouble with opinions on tools are their use is very personel

With only a few exceptions, I don't recommend "sets" as they most often have tools you'll not use unless you're interested in spindle work. (Most sets are spindle turning oriented) I'm also concerned that some newbies will use an inappropriate tool for working on a bowl and potentially suffer an injury as a result when the tool snaps. Case in point is the unfortunately still popular use of a spindle roughing gouge on a face-plate oriented workpiece, such as a bowl.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think I'm going to get the 5 piece set and then fill in as needed/wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by adam tracksler View Post
    I Know I would end up with 2 bowl gouges, but

opinions, please?

Thanks.
    having more than one bowl gouge is not a bad thing. it's actually a GREAT thing. the reason is that you need a couple with differant grinds for the differant parts of the bowl. your main one would have your fingernail or Ellsworth grind and the other would have standard grind (maybe a little steeper) with the heel ground away so you could get to the bottom of the bowl easier.

Adam

I started with a Shopsmith set of my Dad's. Spent a year or more buying tools around that crummy set. Then Dad got interested in turning and I needed to return his tools so I bought the 5 piece Pinnacle set to fill in the middle again.

My observation on the Pinnacle line;
    1) Surprizingly good steel from China or not
    2) The handles while I share your appreciation for their length they feel too light wieght and they are too big around for my stubby fingers.

Other good sources;
    1) The Crafts Supply Artisan line is a good value although not alot of choices.
    2) If you get tempted to buy higher end look at Sorby on the Grizzley website. Sorby is always cheapest there.

Tools don't last forever. For example a 3/8 spindle gouge only lasts me about 20 months, by then its too short to fit in the Wolverine jig. So this decision is not forever.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

I agree with Jim B. If I had to do over again I would never buy a set except for the HF set for a beginner. Once you get past that I just buy one here and one there as I need them. Problem with sets you can get a lot of tools that will collect dust.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.