Thread: Cedar Cracks

Cedar Cracks

I wanted to throw this out at one point but decided to experment with the finish a bit, Cedar; 9" X 4"; sanded to 600 grit and buffed. then 3 coats of Tung Oil and buffed again one more coat of Tung Oil then wax buff. Too good to throw out but cracks are taking a lot away.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Chris, until I read the dimesions I thought it was a tea candle! I like that form for a larger piece, just hadn't seen one before. I've done some smaller pieces in cedar and love the way it turns and finishes, but cracks are a problem. I've had good luck with CA, but you have to be very careful about staining.
    Mike

Very nice Chris....but cedar does crack a LOT and is the primary reason why I don't turn it any more. It's pretty when it all stays together, but I've had too many parts fly off during the turning process AND to hear it "crack, crack, crack" during the turning process makes me turn the lathe off and go for something more stable.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

cedar cracks

That is the way things go, some people can do more with wood I throw away than I can when I pay 4.00 a pound for. Do you buff between coats? Good lookin'. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    That is the way things go, some people can do more with wood I throw away than I can when I pay 4.00 a pound for. Do you buff between coats? Good lookin'. Max
    Harvey, I buff between some coats but not all.

That's a nice one Chris. I have a couple logs of cedar that are purpleish and really nice wood to turn. But have the same problem with it cracking. Mine cracked as I was turning, before I could get a chance to DNA soak or anything so I just finished it (after I blew the top out with a sorby hollowmaster). I'd like to know a good way to keep it from cracking too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    That's a nice one Chris. I have a couple logs of cedar that are purpleish and really nice wood to turn. But have the same problem with it cracking. Mine cracked as I was turning, before I could get a chance to DNA soak or anything so I just finished it (after I blew the top out with a sorby hollowmaster). I'd like to know a good way to keep it from cracking too.
    Curt, that purple is gorgeous!!

I like the form and finish, but thought it was smaller, at first. I've found out that Cedar will heat check badly when sanding, also, so it's best to keep it cool.
    I have some that I need to turn, and have been thinking about giving it a soaking in that white glue/water mixture that Wally uses on punky wood. I might even thin it to 25 / 75, instead of 50/50, for better penetration.
    I'm thinking about inserting the wood into the mixture end-grain-wise, and not submerging it, so the air could escape, allowing the liquid to penetrate all the way through. Maybe leave it there for a couple of days... Any ideas on this?
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

That is a beauty Chris. I like turning cedar. I haven't had much cracking especially using LDD.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    Cracks or not it's a beauty Chris.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf