Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a Picture.....

I have a Picture.....

I finally have a picture I would like to show, but it is a 10 meg file. How do I trim it down to size so I can post it?
    Equipment - LaserPro 30w, Explorer II, Camaster Stinger III,
    Software - CorelDraw X3, Aspire 8.02

scott. I have some time right now. Email it to me and i will see if I can resize it and post for you. If I get it posted, I'll put your name on it and you can have your say about it. rcarves@hotmail.com If you want to. rick

1) Open your image in an image editor
    There's a free one here, if you don't have one to hand:
    http://www.gimp.org/

2) Resize it. About 400 pixels across normally serves to get a clear picture across without being too big in filesize terms

3) Save it in a web-friendly format:
    JPEG (For almost everything, especially photos...there's normally a sliding bar for the amount of compression. It depends on the program but as a general rule of thumb, under about 80% the image begins to suffer- if you need it to be smaller, reduce the image size would be my advice)
    GIF (For logos and stuff with a limited number of colours in (if there's only 2 or 3 colours, you can get a smaller filesize for the same image than a JPEG); or if you want to do a mini-animation)
    PNG (Lossless- if you need to get ALL of the photo across or if you want to put an object on a transparent background with a semi-transparent drop-shadow...you're not going to be using this a lot)

4) Upload your JPEG to the interweb. If you don't have hosting, this free site will store your photos and allow them to be displayed on bulletin boards like this one:
    http://www.imageshack.us/
    (Just go there and follow the on-screen instructions. Copy the 'direct' link to the image).

5) When you're creating your post; there's some icons above the bit you type in. Click on the yellow one with what looks like mountains and a stamp on. Paste the direct link to your image there.

Et voila.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-30-2007 at 6:32 PM.

Rick, I appreciate your offer but I would like to know how to do this for this one and future stuff. (It is a 10 meg file.....will hotmail let you accept files this large?)

well, I reckon i'm more tired than i thought. hotmail says it will take 10 meg, but maybe not. If you have an image editor follow Darrens advice. If not, try to send it if you want. He's a pretty sharp cookie. Hey Darren, hope your laser is still cookin for you. Fantastic you got it going again. rick

Thanks. The laser is still working...and I've got a military-grade capacitor standing by in case this one goes *foom!* (same thing but in a metal case so more heat proof).

Hotmail does take 10 Mb, but if you attach a 10Mb image, you'll end up with more than 10Mb...the email format adds somewhere between 10-40% to filesizes of attachments usually.

Download XNView and then save it as another format or reduce the DPI - if the picture is to be posted on the web you will only need it to be 72dpi

http://www.xnview.com
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thats great, Darren. Happy for you. And thanks, I learned a bit for today. Didnt know about the 10 to 40 %. Sorry scott. rick

The 10-40% is for straight POP/SMTP email...attachments have to be MIME encoded, or something, which adds a bit on. Might not apply if both parties are using webmail like Hotmail.

Scott, you can go here: http://bluefive.pair.com/free_computer_software.htm
    and download PixResizer to resize your photos. It's really easy.

Nancy (82 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Download XNView and then save it as another format or reduce the DPI - if the picture is to be posted on the web you will only need it to be 72dpi

http://www.xnview.com
    Frank:
    Actually the resolution (dpi) can be 0..a computer screen only cares how about how many pixels the image is. Resolution matters most in printing of images, not viewing them on screen.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Misuses of DPI measurement
    Owing in part to its conceptual similarity with other measurements of graphical resolution, the DPI measurement is frequently misused. For instance, it is common for an image scanner's sampling resolution to be specified in terms of DPI, though a more accurate measurement would be samples per inch. The number of pixels per inch in a computer display is sometimes specified in this way as well. Usage of the DPI measurement in these cases is inaccurate and misleading, though the intended meaning is usually clear based on context.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Thanks everyone for their help. After I posted my second response my internet died. I haven't had a chance to fix it.....busy with my day job. Hope to have it working this weekend...(wireless router died). I will get the photo posted as soon as I get it working. Thanks again.

Ok, here it is......comments good or bad or good welcomed..
    This is a picture of the "Old North Bridge" in Concord, Mass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never putt at a mirror.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7