Thread: Walnut Gloat

Talking Walnut Gloat

This just goes to prove that when you use this very giving hobby to help others, it comes back around. I have been helping a friend prepare the trim he needed to basically rebuild both his bathrooms. He was moving walls and everything. I made him some face frames and a few raised panel doors and am eagerly waiting to see the finished product. He called me two weekends ago and told me he was going to stop by and drop off some wood. When he arived he had about 63 Board foot of Walnut in his truck. I'll attach a picture. I have never worked with walnut before and did not care for the smell of the wood but it finishes up nice. Does anyone know if walnut makes a nice pen? Got to keep those freedom pen turners busy! Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!

Jim, I don't think you are going to like that wood. What is you address and I'll come and get it off you hands
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick, I'm not sure you'll care for it either...looks a little wavy to me. I'll come take those 63 eyesores off your hands right quick!

Jim, I personally think Walnut is one of puuurrrtiest woods to oil up. Something about it comes alive in a hand-rubbed finish.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim, that does look like some really nice wood. You need to put it up some where and check the moisture count before you use it. You will make a really nice project with it some day. That's enough for a couple of tables there.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

That would sure MAKE A NiCE PEN !!

That looks great... Congrats. I love the look of walnut in projects.

Randy

Thanks for all the offers to take it off my hands!!! I did cut off an end to plane it down and see what it looks like. I'd be willing to part with it for the Freedom pen project. What do you say Julie. You up for some more wood?
    For every 99 people that can handle adversity there is only one that can handle prosperity. Lord let me be that man!