• Rikon

11 22.00%
  • Jet

35 70.00%
  • Delta

4 8.00%

Thread: Best Mini Lathe? Rikon, Jet, Delta

Best Mini Lathe? Rikon, Jet, Delta

Not taking into factor cost. Which of these 3 mini lathes do you think performs the best?

Of the three, I'd prefer the Jet VS. But the OneWay 1224 is the bee's knees when it comes to small machines that think and work like big machines...of course, in a completely different cost stratum, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have to put a vote in for the new Jet 1220, it really is more of a midi, but in a mini size and price!

none of the above. Try a Vicmark VL100. Of the three, the Jet has the best reputation and is very good but there is better (Oneway 1018 anyone?).

None of the above.

Nancy (81 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Jet because of the VS. If a Delta can be had for under $200 like they were a few weeks ago somebody posted that would be my choice.
    VS goes a really long way though.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Of the three lathes listed I would not be surprised if they aren't all produced in the same factory in China. And they're all great lathes for turning small items. I bought the Delta because it was the cheapest. But if the Jet with the step pulleys or the Rikon would have been cheaper, that's what I would have gotten. There just isn't anything different enough to compare. I'd say that the biggest difference would be whether the QC guy was bright eyed or hung over on the day your lathe came off the line.

Blog Entries
    I have the Rikon and the Jet and I would have to say that I prefer the Jet simply because I have had it longer and used it more. There are very subtle differences in them both are good lathes though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

I have a Jet VS and like it for what it is. I guess there all about the same. Pick the color you like best, any of them beet two fence posts and a dog power.

Evening Curt. Having turned on two (JET and Rikon) and looked very closely at the Delta, I vote for the Rikon.

To compare apple to apples, you have to compare the 1014 Jet to the Rikon, but if you want to compare the Non-vs 1220 Jet, I believe that the Rikon is still the better tool. The Rikon is a 12" swing and 16" spindle. The Jet 1014 is 10" swing and 14" spindle. The 1220 is 12" swing and Maybe a 20" spindle (Which would be a plus)

Here's why:

1. Belt changing on the Rikon takes a quarter of the time, with little chance of tearing up your hand in two little doors that the Jet has. The jet 1014 and 1220 both have two doors.

2. Jet added handles to move their 1220, but they just drilled holes in the existing casting. That weakens the casting and they are loose. They jangle when turning. The 1014 does not have this problem with its handle.

3. Jet added a Spindle lock. To get it to hold, you have to screw it in and unscrew it to change position. The Rikon used a spring loaded pin that you just pull up on to reset. Very smooth. The 1014 does not offer this feature, except in the "I" version.

4. Jet added a light, But it is affixed to the head stock and too short to be of any real use. The 1014 does not have it on either version.

5. The pricing for the JET 1014I is about $250.
    6. I tried to look up the current price for the 1220, but had no luck. I believe it is in the neighborhood of $329.00
    7. The Rikon is normally $250. Why pay $75.00 for a Clone of lesser quality, by buying the 1220. Also, if you are in the market, Rikon is having their $199.00 Special this month on the 70-100.

Just my experience. (I bought the Jet 1014 and had it for a year, till the Rikon came out. Used the Rikon for over a year and beat it up, and it still asked for more.)

Bruce
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 10-01-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Jet 1220 - heavier bed and 3/4hp

Nice review in newwoodworker dot com slash reviews says in part:
    "At first glance, the JET JWL-1220 looks like a JWL-1014 with a taller headstock. Look closer and we find that JET added roughly 1" of width to the bed cross section. This additional mass insures rigidity as well as a solid base for the larger turnings this machine is capable of. The tool rest base and tailstock are very similar to those of the 1014 series but have been sized up to match the 12" swing of the JET JWL-1220.

While they were making things bigger, JET increased motor power from the common 1/2Hp to a full 3/4Hp. The TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled) motor fits nicely under the bed and helps maintain a relatively small footprint. The proven stepped pulley system from the 1014 series is retained."

This may warrant a closer look vs. the Rikon
    Jerry Hall

Jet 1220 Pricing and Video

BTW the review mentioned above also has a nice detailed video.

Found the 1220 at Woodworker dot com for 329.99 but none on hand and availability indicated for 10/15

150-896 JWL-1220 12" WOOD LATHE 3/4HP 1PH Jet 708376 0* 10/15 EA $ 329.99

From what I read in the specs and review it may well be worth the $75 or so extra and also the extra 29 pounds.
    Jerry Hall

You could not get me to buy another Rikon product for no amount of money. I have one of the early lathes and they had bearing problems from the get go. For over a year I worked on getting their problems squared away with promises of getting a better lathe that they said they would check out to make sure there were no problems. Well they sent that lathe and it sounded like an old washing machine and guess what, there was no keeper on the shaft in the head and the shaft move through the bearings in the head to the left and right, so much for making sure the lathe was good. Being that it was over a year I couldn't take it back to Woodcraft so I told them to send me a new box to ship it back and return my money - have not heard from them since. I know of a Woodcraft store that won't have a Rikon product in their store.
    My club has Delta and Jet minis and they both run great. I also have a Delta that I have had no problem with for over 4 years. That's my take on the midis.