Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigs list

Craigs list

I have been kicking around getting a table saw for my home shop that I am building right now. I have asked a couple of dumb questions. Craigs list has come up a couple of times. How does this work? Is this another form of EBay? How many here have bought table saws or other machinery using this method?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post
    I have been kicking around getting a table saw for my home shop that I am building right now. I have asked a couple of dumb questions. Craigs list has come up a couple of times. How does this work? Is this another form of EBay? How many here have bought table saws or other machinery using this method?
    Cragslist is just a classified ads website. It's not a auction site like Ebay.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent E. Matthew View Post
    Basically Craigs list is the Internet's version of Classified Ads. I've sold a few things and bought a couple of things. I would say this: Deal only locally or where you can see and pick up the item. Don't send any form of payment, could be a scam. Like all things be smart about it and you'll be just fine. I've got my 4" delta jointer, some 71/72 Wilson forged clubs and a recumbant bike up for sale on it. They've not moved yet, but I have sold all my hunting gear.

CraigsList is absolutely great BECAUSE you only deal locally! No ebay shipping, hoping, trusting. You find an ad, call the person, ask a few questions, then arrange to go view it WITH CASH in hand--cash only generally. You test it, like it, load it and drive home. Some bargaining can ensue, and you can almost always get it for less than the ad price. I bought my PM66 for $1000, my Delta 14" new bandsaw for $100... tons of great deals.
    http://craigslist.org

or http://denver.craigslist.org for you

i bought a number of items recently including a porter cable pocket cutter, a fuji hvlp spray, an exaktor sliding table and a hinge boring press for almost a half or a third of the retail price! i just sold a bosch 4000 table saw tonight for a mere $360 after giving the buyer a thorough education in basic table saw safety. definitely only deal locally and ask them in the email response message if they'd be willing to accept the original price minus a couple extra dollars. BTW be prepared to drive an hour or two - it's usually worth it in most cases!

As everyone has said, it's an online classified. Because listings are free, it attracts spamming and scamming, but the flagging system seems to work reasonably well.

I'd stay clear of the personals.

Most of these auctions are in the Eastern US, but you can get some great deals at irsauctions.com. It stand for Industrial Recovery Services, not infernal revenue suckers.

I was able to almost completely outfit my shop off of Craigslist. I found my bandsaw, drill press, and lathe there. Total cost: $700.

Even better, all of these are late-40's early 50's era machines, which are really well built -- much more heavily built than today's offerings.

My Craigslist tip....Move Fast.

If you see something you are interested in email the selller immediately. I've been trying to get a 6"jointer for about two months now. I've tried to get several that were posted and they were all sold within the first few hours of being listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kinn View Post
    My Craigslist tip....Move Fast.

If you see something you are interested in email the selller immediately. I've been trying to get a 6"jointer for about two months now. I've tried to get several that were posted and they were all sold within the first few hours of being listed.

This ISN'T a joke at all. There has been a few things I've been interested in (planes lately), most of it has sold in 10 minutes or less.

With my schedule, I miss most of it.

I've used Craig's list a few times and like the local aspect, but there are times I want to a whole state or a region such as "mid atlantic" search. Is there a way to do this?
    David

As far as I know, no. You'll find some regions are more 'target rich' than others, though, and generally not worth wasting your time on. For me, the Seattle-Tacoma listings are most active and have the most products, by far, and its not worth it(generally) to browse the smaller city's lists.

Also, as others have said, move fast. Check frequently and be prepared to jump on an item of interest. In your reply email, I've also found it helpful to state where you are located, when you can come look or buy, and list your contact info. One liners like "i want it" are generally dismissed because there are also a lot of 'flakes' on craigslist, browsers that aren't that serious.
    Last edited by Todd Jensen; 10-02-2007 at 9:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Werkheiser View Post
    I've used Craig's list a few times and like the local aspect, but there are times I want to a whole state or a region such as "mid atlantic" search. Is there a way to do this?
    David
    http:// (NO WWW) crazedlist.org/

There have been times from what I have read that Craigslist seems to block this. Allthough with the refer change, this works (you will see a readme on top if not working).

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    http:// (NO WWW) crazedlist.org/

There have been times from what I have read that Craigslist seems to block this. Allthough with the refer change, this works (you will see a readme on top if not working).
    That is a great link! Thanks for the heads up!

I got a brand new, never opened Starrett fractional caliper for 20 bucks off Craigslist. Guy had won it at his work and didn't need it. On the phone he basically told me several other people had responded within the first hour and whoever got to his house first with 20 bucks got it.