Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you shoot with?

What do you shoot with?

LOML wants to know what I want for Christmas, and it's definitely going to be related to shooting.

At this point, it's the miter block plane from LN (the stanley version is untouchable for users). A buddy of mine has the plane, and I think it's the cat's ___ for shooting.

With the knob on, it's easy to use, and you know it's square, and it's bedded at a low angle.

I also already have the large shoulder plane, the 60 1/2 and a whole bunch of bench planes that I haven't necessarily checked for square on the cheeks.

What do you guys use. Those of you who use the low angle jack and jointer planes, do you find that the low height of the cheeks cause a problem?

Reason I'm asking is that I know for sure that the miter block plane works well, but it's a high dollar one-trick pony. I might be able to make an excuse to get something else if, say, I'd get the low angle jack plane.

I don't want deal with anything that has an effective angle of greater than 45 degrees - I could just use a regular bench plane if that is the case.

You may want to look at the Veritas low angle jack plane. I recently got it along with the two higher angle blades, making it very versatile. It's not real comfy to do a lot of shooting for a long time, though. I wear a leather glove if I'm doing much more than a few strokes.

I use the Veritas Low Angle Jack like Greg. I also bought the extra blades. This is a very versatile tool. The low angle blade works great for shooting and the other two are nice for face and edge planing. I've heard others say it's uncomfortable to grip for shooting, but I really don't have any problems with it. My shooting board is quite slick (waxed laminate), I set for a light cut, and make sure the blade is very sharp. It cuts with close to zero effort. I also have pretty big hands and that may make a difference.

My favorite shooting plane is a #6 jointer. The mass of plane carries it thru a cut with ease. Lighter weight planes tend to stop before completing the cut unless you apply some muscle. For comfort I made a custom handle that attaches to the side of the plane using a magnet that can be switched on or off. The magnet is stong enough to lift the weight of the #6. The magnet is not attached to the handle/jig so it can be lifted out for use on other jigs.

I tend to use a LN Low Angle Jack (62). The low profile doesn't seem to affect its suitability or stability for shooting, I also have a #7 that I have used, but it is frankly a bit too large for most shooting jobs.

I have wanted a #9 ever since I saw one at a WW show years ago, but I just can't justify the price for such a specialized plane when the 62 and #7 do a fine job. Now, if they ever made the mitre plane with skewed iron I might start saving my pennies.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I think that I'm ultimately going to end up just going with the #9 because of familiarity, and I'll just forget about the extra hundred bucks. My motive to save money are simple - I could buy something else with the difference - like a chisel plane or maybe a couple of japanese dovetail chisels.

But I'll probably chicken out and play it safe and end up with the #9 - and you're right - it's a princely sum. It sure is easy to use with a handle on the front of it, though, and with the bedding angle being the same as it is on the #62, it shears the end grain off very very nicely.

Don - can you post a photo showing the handle and magnet set-up?

I use my LN 62 also. In fact, it's all I use the 62 for (for the time being). I will be putting in my request to Sant-ette for a #9 for Christmas. Sort of related, I've gotten so used to using a shooting board that it is unusal for me to do anything, without taking a few swipes to square it up.

A LN No. 9 with a hotdog handle.
    The hotdog handle is comfortable and easy to change over when I switch sides on the shooting board.

Regards,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    What do you guys use. Those of you who use the low angle jack and jointer planes, do you find that the low height of the cheeks cause a problem?
    Hi David,
    I also use a LN 62, and do not find that the low height of the cheeks is a problem. I have two blades for it, one at 25 degrees and one with a 40 degree secondary bevel, making it a very versatile plane for me.
    -Andy

David

If you want a plane just for shooting, get the LN #9. This is dedicated for a shooting board.

If you want a plane that is superb on a shooting board, but can do a lot more, get the LV LA Jack. This is a different kettle of fish to the LN version. The LV is larger and better designed than the LN.

What do I use for shooting? Either the LV LA Jack or the LV LA Smoother. Sometimes a LN 60 1/2 for small pieces.

When restoration is completed, it will be this ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Drive-By Gloat Alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    David

When restoration is completed, it will be this ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Nice gloat Derek. When did you pick that up? You must do an article on it when you get it in shape.

Cheers,

Hank

Hi Hank

I have already begun an article on the #51/52. I must get back to the resto. It has been several months.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/d...nley5152-1.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - that second bit is information (the LV plane being more substantial and better for shooting) is definitely applicable. Do you have any opinions on how square and flat it is from the factory?

I would like something with a skew - like a panel raiser would have, but it looks like a bevel up plane or the #9 is the answer to shooting.

Just for giggles last night, I was looking through Leach's website to see what stanley made for shooting, and one was that plane above, but without the shoot board - I thought maybe I could find a beater #51 somewhere. Boy was I wrong there, and I hope you're not going to tell us about how you got it from some grandmother for $5 at a yard sale. I think I saw one without the board for about $900 or something.