Hello,
I am in a pickle and am hoping I may get some needed advice. I hate to try and explain this without a camera. Here is what I have going on. I am following loosely the plan in FWW # 153. Mike Dunbar's wooden screw bench.
I have completed the top of my bench. The back slab is done and the face slab with the dog holes is ready to be glued to it, except for the tail vise construction. The thickness of my bench right now is 4 1/4" and it is 8' long less the end caps. The tail vise has a length of aprox. 17 5/8"/ It is 4 7/8" wide.
Here is my complication, The plans I am somewhat using shows the bench having around 2" of thickness. I am at 4 1/4. So the whole guide system he uses for the tail vise is going to be different. Mike's bench uses a glued up stack with a 3/4" tounge protruding that rides in a groove to guide the vise. He then has a seperate guide system under the bench. I have the wooden screws that requires the nut be joined to the end batten via a scarf joint.
Now I am wondering because of the increased thickness of the bench how I should modify the guide system? I am not sure the single groove on the right side is enough. Should I create a second 3/4" tounge & groove in the side or make a bottom runner that attatches to the bottom of the bench. (which I am less inclined due to aesthetics)
I hope I explained this somewhat clear, I really appreciate the help.