Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Tools

Harbor Freight Tools

I put the name in the title so the mod. can delete it if its not allowable. I didn't see where it wasn't in the FAQ's
    So here goes,,, Are Harbor Freight tools worth the money? I don't get to use the shop all that much due to my health But I want the tools I do get to perform decent. Know what I mean???
    Thanks for any answers
    Last edited by John Wibbenmeyer; 10-04-2007 at 6:54 PM. Reason: mispelling

At the risk of sounding too critical of a particular company or brand name, I've never been happy with tools I've purchased at Harbor Freight. I generally got what I paid for - ie: low prices = low quality. Depends on how much you want to work in your shop and what good tools are worth to you. A tool that requires constant adjustment, setup, calibration, etc probably isn't worth the effort - you'll spend more time setting up the tool than actually using it to accomplish the task at hand.

Thumbs up

My opinion to your question - Yes. You get what you pay for! I'm also weary of anything with a HF motor in it. I always try to wait for items to go on sale. For example, a $10 drill on sale from HF has a value of $10. Where if I were to purchase a $60 drill somewhere else it may have a value of $75.

John I think there are good tools to be had from HF but it can be difficult to cull them from the junk. I think that to get them usable takes a bit of fettling most of the time.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

There are a number of Harbor Freight items that have given me more than my money's worth (purchased at sale prices):

47257 digital calipers
    92020 digital multimeter
    93983 non-contact thermometer
    34706 lathe
    47066 turning tool set
    40131 air hose reel
    42321 air compressor
    41983 rotary hammer
    45338 hammer drill
    93859 lockback utility knives

as well as various sundries like bits, blades, gloves, tape, cable ties, tarps, etc., etc.

HF tools can be hit or miss and require a bit more research IMO or you can end up wasting hard earned money. Depending on usage and expectactions, there are some that'll do the task on occasion but I sure wouldn't equip my entire shop in HF machines.

ie: I do occasional mortises and thought the $99 HF mortiser would do the job...and it has. I also like their Pittsburg bar clamps and digital calipers, but I've been burned by some of their items too.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hit or miss is right. There are definitely some gems. If you have a particular tool in mind, do a search here or ask. You will have to know the particular model #. HF sometimes sells two similiar items, one being great, one junk. Just don't buy anything until you ask around.

I've had good luck with a compressor that I got from them - a cheapie one that I use just to run an HVLP gun. I have seen other stuff in the store that wasn't what I would consider saleable. I guess you just have to know what you're looking at.

Some of the other stuff hasn't turned out so well. If there's something you like, and you go to a store to check it out, I would wait for it to be on sale.

The one thing that HF is great for is NiMH batteries. They cost less there than duracell batteries cost at the store.

Hello John,
    So to hear about bad health problems, I'm actually being evaluated for kidney transplant as we speak.
    Everyone is right in stating that you get what you pay for, as well as some good buys as there is alot of junk there too. I would ask myself several things:
    1. Do you have the money to buy quality tools and then may be pass them down to someone?
    2. If on a tight budget, will the frustration factor of lesser quality tools get the better of you?
    3. Are you looking to make high quality items or just have something to pass sometime in the shop with?

These are just a few questions that I've ask myself before retooling the shop.

Good Luck,
    Roger

I have bought numerous items at HF which have proven to be decent values. I think the key probaly is th existance of a local retail store, any items I have had a problom with, they have always been willing to exchange or refund my money.
    I don't think I would buy from them mail order. The only big item I have bought from them is the pancake compressor and that has performed flawlessly, their nail guns have also been satisfacory for my hobbyist use. I have a couple of their 18V drills which I have had for three+ years that still operate well. My tool arsenal runs the gamet from Delta Unisaw and bandsaw,Jet Jointer,a lot of Bosch,Fein Vacumn and Mutimaster, some Rigid items etc so I am not pushing one option over another. Just buy what works for you for the job at hand. Take care, enjoy the shop when you can and please accept my hopes that you overcome your health probloms.

Ive been pleasantly surprised MOST of what Ive bought there has exceeded my expectations

we have a local store so I'm able to inspect the items before purchase

sign up for their email / mailing lists lots of specials and 10-20 % discount coupons

i think there are some things that are not a risk buying from them like the anti fatigue floor mats - 8 bucks for 16 square feet and they cant break. Ive bought clamps there as well.

Also this weekend at least at the one by me is a big sidewalk sale - good prices advertised on bar clamps and stuff like that. Ive never bought a power tool though.

We have a local HF store not too far from home. I have purchased several items from Harbor Freight, and been disappointed with almost all of them. The only thing I kept and used was some link belts. I have decided to give up on HF, and I just don't shop there any more.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Seen a LOT of mixed luck with HF.

While I've had good luck with their impact sockets (old design, thick wall), I've heard both ways with others (seems like the newer thin wall ones were the problem).
    I have hand selected a few tools, as I have seen various stages of finishes on them (things like the Garret Wade #1 odd jobs that they sell, not marked Garret Wade).

Had good luck with air hoses (Goodyear) and reels, dust collector (starting out one), AO Safety full face shield, Pnuematic safety couplers, Quick Release Woodworking vise with a benchdog, etc.

I don't order from their catalog, I only go to the store, to pick between. Any Powertools, I tend to try and avoid, but the Dust collector, and the pancake compressor were good buys (for my needs).

Re: Harbor Freight

Hi,

Like many others posting to this thread I have seen very good and very bad at HF. I purchased a log splitter for roughly $250.oo. It works VERY well and has been no problem. It is much better than some $500.oo units I have seen. We have two woodstoves and we heat the house with wood only. Over the time I have owned it it has split several cords of wood without any problem.

I have an 18v drill. It works fine. It is far better than the B&D Firestorm I had before it. HOWEVER, it does not have the finesse of the "better" drills (my Ridgid is a dream) with things like two speeds and one-handed chucks. The HF chuck works fine but it takes two hands to tighten or loosen. Oh yes, it cost about $15.oo. My Firestorm was over $100.oo. The Ridgid was a bit over $100.oo (It has lifetime warranty on batteries). The Firestorm chuck was fine. The Ridgid chuck is wonderful.

I have purchased a large brad point drill set (25 drills. 1/8 to 1/2 in 64ths. In yellow plastic case with window). They have a tendency to drill a little oversize because the shafts are not truly true (I think that is English). They DO cut much faster than my more expensive drills. So I use them whenever exact size is not a requirement.

HF casters are a real bargin, especially when on sale. Excellent quality at a low price.

I have a small, 7 LED flashlight (about $5.oo) that gives a very uniform illumination. This makes it much easier to see detail than any of the other flashlights I own. All of the other flashlights were much more expensive and produce much poorer quality illumination. I will be in the shop standing right next to a flashlight. However, I find that I will walk clear across the shop to get this small unit. The other flashlights are brighter and if I were out in the country on a dark and stormy night I would prefer them.

I have HF reciprocating saw and an offset grinder. They work fine. I do not use either very often however. They were quite inexpensive.

There are also many tools that I did NOT buy at HF. I looked at them---turned the knobs, etc. and left them in the store.

Oh yes, I bought a great bench vice for $19.oo. It is as good or better than units I have seen for over $100.oo.

I will shut-up now. I know, I should have sooner. Anyway---

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    So. Calif. 5 miles to ocean