Thread: Grizzly Hobby Lathe review

Grizzly Hobby Lathe review

I posted this in woodturning (woodworking in Iraq) area, so this is a updated copy for the H2669 Hobby Lathe.

I'm in Iraq for a year, and I really needed to have something other than the gym, chow, or work to awaken to each day.

I didn't buy the recommended drill, but, instead I am using a Dewalt 18v hammer drill. Voltage here is 220/50hz. Step down transformers work, but my Marines (even after labeling) have a tendency to stick a 110vac saws into a 220vac plug. A corded drill would be the better buy. It took 1 & 1/2 batteries to make a single drumstick from a dowel. The Dewalt doesn't have a very high top end speed either. Not any drill will work. The drill must have a open area (usually for a ring clamp to mount a anti-torque handle), behind the chuck, that is 44mm diameter.

Overall, it is working well. The design is good for a light weight/light duty lathe.

Packaging- For US deliveries the box it's packaged in would be ok, but not for an extended journey. There is no cushioning btwn the box and item.

The tool rest is made of aluminum. It quickly took some gouges while I rotated my skew to make beads. My advice is to get a steel tool rest made. A piece of 2"angle Iron and a 9/16-5/8" bolt will work well. (A Seabee friend is making a tool rest for me. Love them Seabees!)

The thumbscrew that holds the tool rest in place should be a larger diameter to better hold the rest in place. When I donate this to the Seabee woodshop I'll give them that task.

The face of the face plate is coated with the Grizzly Green textured paint. I would suggest removing that so you have a true surface to work on.

One thing I just thought of, but I haven't tried yet. If you mount the lathe on a stand, like I did, you can reverse the drill, move the tool rest to the other side, and use it in a LEFT HANDED configuration. I'm left handed and usually just adapt to a right handed world.

The chisels (G8945) are not ready out of the box. There were nicks and bad grinding technique. Stuff from China can be good if the ordering company enforces quality control standards. It is hard to sharpen the gouges with a flat stone, but they are usable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave.....thanks for the review.....and thanks for your service! You are sure showing some tenacity!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....