Thread: Powermatic Problems

Powermatic Problems

I am having big problems with my Powermatic 4224. I was turning a large maple bowl and turned off the lathe to check it. However, when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't start. The lathe is definitely getting power becasue the rpm readout is showing. But, it won't begin to spin.
    Any ideas?

Sounds like the big bowl may have overloaded the controller during the braking. Try unplugging the lathe for a minute to reset the controller or you may have to push a reset button on the controller. Check the controller to see if you have an error message.

Ron

I did try unplugging the lathe for a minute or two (until it powered down). It still wouldn't start after I had plugged it back in. I thought you should never push any of the buttons on the inverter (if that is the reset button you are talking about). My only guess is that it is the remote switch becasue people have said that they have had problems with them.

Tom

I'm not that familiar with the Powermatic controllers. They may or may not have a button marked "reset". Check to see if there are any error messages displaying on the main controller.

Most of the manuals for lathes that I have seen have no instructions for troubleshooting the controllers. The almost act like "that" never happens so they don't say a thing.

My General 260 did the same thing several years ago and the manual said nothing about how to reset the controller.

Ron

Here's a link that may help you troubleshoot the problem. They do talk about the remote switch being a problem.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d4...vision=_latest

Ron

Do check to see if there is a red reset button on the converter. It is plainly marked. I turn at as high of a speed as I can with my PM 3520A, and with bigger blanks, If I turn the speed down with the speed control knob, it will trip the converter. This is especially a problem if I am turning on the high speed range, and not on the low speed range. I did have my braking time set up to 8 seconds, and the factory set time is 5 seconds. With the brake set at 8 seconds, I can use the speed control to turn off the lathe rather than the on/off button.
    robo hippy

I would put my $$ on the remote switch!
    Mine gives me problems sometimes.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

It was the remote switch. I opened it up, bypassed it with a nail, and could control the lathe on the headstock. It must have been the dust. Thanks for all the help.