Thread: Another Workbench Thread.......

Another Workbench Thread.......

I have about 200+bf of 8/4 and 12/4 red oak taking up space in my shop and the need for a real work bench. I know many designs are out there, but I am looking to build something that is large (40x96) and with two twin screw vices, and a built in tray. It would also be nice to implement a floor mounted lock also??? I know oak is not the first choice of materials, but it is here so why not?

Any links or pictures or ideas?

You are thinking about a workbench at a good time. Chris Schwartz (Editor of Popular Woodworking and Woodworking magazines) has been investigating workbench design for a couple of years. He has several recent articles on design and has published plans for two excellent ones in the aforementioned magazines. See the latest issue of Woodworking magazine. In addition he has a book on his investigations coming out in the next few weeks.

I would say that red oak is a fine choice for you, it's hard, heavy, available, and cheap. I don't think that you will be happy with a 40" wide workbench, though.

Workbench design

Jay, I am getting ready to do the same thing. I would ask where you intend to have the bench? In the middle of the shop and 40" is fine. If it is next to a wall, it would seem wide as you will not be able to reach or access the far side. I find the vise decisions and their configuration have a lot to do with my bench design as well. Don't forget to allow about 30 inches of working space around vises too. Vise type and placement will drive base design options as well, such as leg placement, overhang if any, etc. As an example, I want a leg on the right side of my front vise flush to the front of the bench as an example of a design change I have come up with recently. The oak is fine for a bench. My base will be 8/4 red oak I cut out of trees 6 years ago as an example. Hate to say it, but it has taken me 15 years of reading, talking and thinking about benches to start to understand them. I hope this helps....speaking of which.....

My initial bench plans came out ot 36" wide with an offset tool tray near the middle with a tail/front vise combination. However I also have a twin screw vise as well I want to use to hold wider pieces for dovetail work and to use the entire bench to hold large pieces for work on them, etc. I was initially thinking of putting the twin screw on the right side next to the tail vise, but wondering if I should put it on the left side. If I do that, I can reduce the bench width to 30". I have a record 52 1/2 for the front vise and the woodcraft large tail vise hardware. Any thoughts are appreciated!