Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twists

Twists

Good Morning

These are 2 of the first 5 twisted flute pieces I have created. LOML 'redistributed' the others before I got pictures. I first saw Stuart Mortimer twisting demo at the NC Mountain woodturners club last June. It took me more than a year to try. I don't follow Stuart's rules but I must credit him for inspiration.

The first is a cherry bowl/openform (whatever) shows a little sap wood. 5.7D X 3

The second is walnut with 4 different flute pitches. This piece also features a ebonized maple collar. 7.5D X 6

Big show this weekend and you guys are always encouraging so I figured I should post something.

Frank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank Kobilsek; 10-04-2007 at 8:59 AM. Reason: forgot dimensions
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Frank......If those don't sell, you really need to find a different market place. Of course, I know those mid-west farmers are penny pinchers but still......Those are beautiful! Is there a book I can buy that illustrates how to do that?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice Work!

I like the rotational effect of the fluting, personally, I am big on a sense of motion.
    I like the forms and finish, especially how the fluting terminates so crisply.
    Good luck at the show, although if the rest of your work is as nice as these, and you are priced "right" for the market, you shouldn't need luck!
    Change One Thing

Frank,
    Way cool! I'll be more direct (blunt) than Ken - how'd you do that? It would make a great tutorial. Good luck at the show; you've got a winner (two actually.)

Frank those are beautiful. Wow I really like those.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You guys are the best. Bad day in the office and I can always find a little cheer up here. I have another new design/series of pieces I have new picts of but I think I'll save them until the boss is goofy next week.

Ken, next time you visit the mother in law stop by ... we'll make one.

Dave, I think its easy once you get the picture in your head that its really just a straight line. Here is the quick version.
    1) equally divide the OD of the piece using your indexing head or the paper ruler method, and strike pencil lines from top to bottom of the piece.
    2) use a piece of heavy paper as your straight edge to connect one the bottom of one of the index lines to the top of another. The more spaces you skip the steeper the twist. Now your done with layout.
    3) Use a V chisel to carefully carve on the twist line. Make a couple passes but don't go to deep at the bottom of the vessel. Do one then the next to keep the depth as consistent as possible.
    4) Go to the hardware store and buy every size round bastard file they have.
    5) Start with the smallest file and using the chisel 'ditch' as a guide starting filing out the flute.
    6) Next size bastard file or rasp keep filing until they all match and you are happy with depth.
    7) Wrap sandpaper around the largest file used and sand.

Just be careful to stay in the 'ditch' so you don't spoil the surface outside the flute. Do the same operation to each flute this will help you stay consistent, in other words count your strokes witht he file. So 1, 2, 3 strokes then the next flute 1, 2, 3, next and so on. The first piece you'll think you'll never get done. They get much faster after that.

Next one I'll take some picts, Thanks for the encouragement.

Frank

Wow Frank!

Those are amazing! I like everthing about them1
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Very impressive Frank! Absolutely beautiful work! Have to agree with Ken - if those don't sell immediately - there's something wrong with the market! Best of luck to you at the show and looking forward to seeing the new design!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Frank,

Very nice. The twists look great and complement the forms very well.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

I love the pieces, They look great.
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Very nice effect Frank.

Frank

Those are great. Nice explaination on how to do them. Where is the show, Rockford?

Terry

Terry,
    Galena, in Grant Park

They promise 15 - 20,000 visitors. This is the highest $ entry fee show I have tried.

Worse come to worse, I suspect I will have a couple of nice dinners with my sexy helper. She really enjoys sitting in the lawn chair watching chat up folks, then she gets in a good nap or two or reads a book. She hates my not so easy up tent.

Frank

Those are two very attractive bowls, Frank. You should have no problem selling.

Very nice Frank. I REALLY like the one with the collar. Thanks for the explanation on how you did it.