Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed Bolts or Slip type Fasteners

Bed Bolts or Slip type Fasteners

If you have built a bed did you use bed bolts or the slip over type fasteners? I see advantages to both but the bed bolts would require a bolt cover and I am just not sure that would look good. The other fastener type I would be worried about them becoming loose or the screw holes enlarging over time.

Opinions?

Rockler has some cam type bed bolts that would not require bolt covers, but I am not sure they are strong enough. Maybe the dowels would help enough, even though they wouldn't be glued.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5291&filter=bed

I have used bed frame brackets from Lee Valley, the oldest bed is 20 now, no problems whatsoever.......Rod.

Take a look at Jeff Miller's book. He describes a way to get all the advantages of a bed bolt without anything showing from the outsude. It uses a captured nut and a slot on the inside of the rail. Quite ingenous actually. I have used a slight modification of it on two beds that I have built and I can vouche for the strength - absolutely rock solid.

Beds are fun projects.

Rod do you mean this type? These are from Lee Valley.

94k0102g1.jpg

i've used these:
    http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...842,41269&ap=1

very easy to use, and heavy duty. i liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Take a look at Jeff Miller's book. He describes a way to get all the advantages of a bed bolt without anything showing from the outsude. It uses a captured nut and a slot on the inside of the rail. Quite ingenous actually. I have used a slight modification of it on two beds that I have built and I can vouche for the strength - absolutely rock solid.

Beds are fun projects.
    I found a picture on how it did it, looks to be an excerpt from the book, but it doesn't mention the nut. Do you know how it was captured in the post? Have to be in there pretty good to withstand the tightening of the bolt so it wouldn't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Beaver View Post

94k0102g1.jpg
    I used something very similar on the bed I built and they didn't do the job for very long. I replaced with bed bolts.

I built a bed using a "hidden bolt" technique, though I have not seen the book referenced. If I get time I'll do a sketchup of the joint, but for now I'll try to describe it (particularly how to hold the hidden nut):

Picture the joint of one bed rail with the footboard. The footboard has vertical posts joined by at least one stretcher of some sort, perhaps with panels in between like this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1191691148

Picture how the bolt is oriented- with the grain of the rail, poking out into the post. Picture how the nut needs to be oriented inside the post to capture the threads of the bolt.

To hold the nut, I chopped a deep mortise in the post perpendicular to the bolt/rail (that is, the mortise is in the same plane as the footboard). I chopped the mortise at a location oriented vertically to hold the rail/bolt where I wanted, and where it would be later hidden by the addition of the panels to the footboard.

Into the mortise goes a "key." The key is just a tenon of sturdy hard wood (I used white oak) sized to fit snugly in the deep mortise. In the face of the key (the wide side of the tenon) I chopped a square hole that snugly holds the square bed nut. I fixed the nut with epoxy, and glued the key/nut assembly in the deep mortise with regular wood glue.

To locate exactly where to place the nut, I first chopped the deep mortise, then dry fit the tenon to its full depth, then bored the hole through the post through which the bolt passes. Then I removed the tenon, and voila! it had a hole through it exactly where the nut should be placed.

The bed is rock-solid.

Aaron,

There was a thread on this subject not too long ago. You may wish search on "bed bolt", or some such.

Here's the solution I adopted for a bed I'm building now (the method Larry and Jeremy describe):

Cherry twin bed bed bolt.JPG

I'm using a 3/8" hex-head bolt that slides into a slot on the inside of the rail. It bolts into a T-nut installed in the post. (You can see the block I wedged in behind the T-nut. I cut the slot with my Domino.) I cut two mortises for Dominos that are used for maintaining vertical alignment. The dominos are glued into tight mortises in the rail, and inserted without glue into loose mortises in the post.

The four mortises on the other edge of the post are for attaching the post to the head or foot rail. On the rail, all four dominos are tight and glued; on the post, one middle one is tight and glued, the other middle one is loose and glued, and the two outer ones are loose and not glued.

Cary
    Last edited by Cary Swoveland; 10-10-2007 at 3:13 PM.

I found a picture on how it did it, looks to be an excerpt from the book, but it doesn't mention the nut. Do you know how it was captured in the post? Have to be in there pretty good to withstand the tightening of the bolt so it wouldn't slip.
    There is a stringer for the footboard and headboard and they are M&T jounts in most cases. The nut is captured in the back of the tenon and a hole drilled through the tenon and the post on the shallow mortise that keeps the rail from twisting. The modification that I used is to use all-thread instead of a bolt so that I only had to create a pocket instead of a pocket and slot.

Hope it helps . . .

L

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    There is a stringer for the footboard and headboard and they are M&T jounts in most cases. The nut is captured in the back of the tenon and a hole drilled through the tenon and the post on the shallow mortise that keeps the rail from twisting. The modification that I used is to use all-thread instead of a bolt so that I only had to create a pocket instead of a pocket and slot.

Hope it helps . . .

L

I see what you are saying but unfortunately the stringers on footboard and head board are lower than the side rails. The idea you suggest sounds really slick and I think it would work well as long as you get the hole in the post to line up with the tenon.

In any case, since my stringer tenons are lower than where my rail comes in I won't be able to use that. I may just have to order a bed bolt cover and see what it looks like, maybe it wont look to bad.

I'm building a bed out of cherry for our three-year old next week. I ordered bed bolts through Lee Valley. I've got the "Beds" book from Jeff Miller and am convinced these will give me the strength needed to withstand the inevitable jumping associated with a three-year old.

The bolt hole covers I've seen are not my first choice. I'm trying to acquire some Cinderella medallions from which I will fabricate my own. My initial plan is to inlay these into a piece of contrasting wood (likely hard maple). My only problem up to this point is sourcing the medallions. I had a line on a 1978 Mardi Gras aluminum coin with Cinderella on it but the person only had one (I need four).

Aaron I've used both devices and the slip overs do well if installed properly. When you say slip overs I'm assuming that you are talking about the type with the 2 engaging teeth with the tapered edge that fits into a mortise and then seats when it is pushed down. The trick to getting them to work well is to make the mortises for the hardware slightly deeper than the thickness of the parts. With this method you get tight contact between the mating surfaces of the wooden parts and this prevents racking which I believe is why the screws sometimes work loose. It also helps to drill the pilot holes in the face grain parts a bit undersized or drill regular size pilots holes and put epoxy in the holes prior to final installation. You may have to run some sample parts to figure out how deep you can make the mortises and still have the parts engage completely.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brihn View Post
    I'm building a bed out of cherry for our three-year old next week. I ordered bed bolts through Lee Valley. I've got the "Beds" book from Jeff Miller and am convinced these will give me the strength needed to withstand the inevitable jumping associated with a three-year old.

The bolt hole covers I've seen are not my first choice. I'm trying to acquire some Cinderella medallions from which I will fabricate my own. My initial plan is to inlay these into a piece of contrasting wood (likely hard maple). My only problem up to this point is sourcing the medallions. I had a line on a 1978 Mardi Gras aluminum coin with Cinderella on it but the person only had one (I need four).
    If you make your own, how are you going to attach them to the post? After you make the hole for the bed bolt are you going to make another recess for the medallion to set flush or will it be proud like a bolt cover would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    Aaron I've used both devices and the slip overs do well if installed properly. When you say slip overs I'm assuming that you are talking about the type with the 2 engaging teeth with the tapered edge that fits into a mortise and then seats when it is pushed down. The trick to getting them to work well is to make the mortises for the hardware slightly deeper than the thickness of the parts. With this method you get tight contact between the mating surfaces of the wooden parts and this prevents racking which I believe is why the screws sometimes work loose. It also helps to drill the pilot holes in the face grain parts a bit undersized or drill regular size pilots holes and put epoxy in the holes prior to final installation. You may have to run some sample parts to figure out how deep you can make the mortises and still have the parts engage completely.

Ron
    Thanks for the advice, I know that I am going to either use a bed bold or the fasteners you described that are centered on the rail and post. At least narrowing down to these two types (both centered on the rail and post) I will be able to go ahead and continue cutting the pieces for the footboard. I just had to decide what type of hardware I was going to use because it would effect the length of the footboard stretchers.

94k0102g1.jpg

Yes, those are the brackets, they work very well. The beds were made out of maple, and I've had no problem with either the screws or the brackets........Rod.