Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning nose

Burning nose

I was doing woodworking occasionally for last 15 years as a hobby and usually experienced flu-like symptoms after heavy dust inhalations.
    Last 3 years I spent significantly more time doing woodworking and those symptoms worsened,
    I started feel nose irritation, burning sensation and dryness almost constantly.
    So I decided to solve the problem radically:
    now 3 big fans sitting on top of each other in a door opening sucking air from workshop,
    3hp Oneida dust collector is on whenever dust is produced ( and it exhausts outside)
    and I do not enter workshop without wearing p100 rubber mask.

All that equipment seems to have little or no effect. After doing woodworking for 3-4 hours my nostrils are burning. It never starts right away but in a couple of hours.

I work mostly with oak.
    Tried to work with red eastern cedar and stopped right away because it seems to be 10 times more toxic

Does anyone else experience this?

When I have that rubber mask on I still can smell wood despite its HEPA filter.
    I just wonder are there better respirators?
    May be I should use one that not just protect from toxic dust but from organic vapors as well?

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sounds like you're not getting a good seal. I've had great luck with the 3M 7500 http://www.amazon.com/3M-Respirator-.../dp/B0006ORFH6. This was recommended by someone on SMC within the last year or so. The only drawback is that I find a half-face mask to be a little heavy for extended wearing.

Mike Jones and I were just relating our experiences with cedar in particular.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ic+cedar+sorta

Andrew,

I am not an allergist, or even a doctor, but I know that people can become hyper sensitive to certain substances. When this happens, very small exposures trigger serious allergic reactions. By very small exposures, I'm talking about ppm (parts per million parts of air) I.E., microscopic amounts. This hypersensitivity can develop over time, so you become hypersensitive to substances that didn't bother you,or bothered you only slightly, early on.

My advice is yo see an allergist about your problem. It may be nothing, but again, it may be a seruious problem that could get worse.

Hank

Get a positve pressure powerdd respirator. If that does not fix it nothing will....
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

I had a sore throat and flu like symptoms after woodworking with a mask. It lasted a day then everything was fine. I concluded it could have been bugs building up in the mask. I washed it out thoughly and not had a problem since.

If you use disposable masks this would not be a problem.

Bryan

I feel for you; after 10 years of finish carpentry where I'm often working in the 'field', i.e. fairly uncontrolled conditions, it seems abstinence is the only cure. I'm in and out of houses that have been freshly painted, hardwood floors have been freshly finished, fresh drywall, etc. Basically, on top of wood dust and mdf dust I'm also dealing with everything gassing off even when things are relatively dust free. I've become better and better about wearing my mask over the years due to necessity, but have become acutely aware of the intake my body does of these dusts and gases despite the mask. It may be that your mask is fine and your seal is fine, but that you continue to be exposed through your eyes, ears, and skin. The solution may be, and one that I'm fast approaching, is to use a forced air respirator that covers my face, and use ear protection and latex type gloves. I've also found that I need to remove my clothes before coming inside at home, and that showering right away does help. Good luck with your situation, and I'm looking forward to hear what you try and how it works.

Andrew, I'm with Warren on this one - I always use a 3M respirator and it's great - no respiratory problems. Although as Michael mentioned, I cant work with cedar as it tears me up, even with the respirator, dust collector and filter, it'll linger in the shop for hours apparently, breaks out my hands. So? I just don't do any Cedar. Good luck, hope this helps! Jude

The type of filter you are using should be more than adiquate. This is the type worn by asbestos abatment workers. The key is to get a propper fit. When we issue a mask to an employee his must be fit tested for a mask size and brand. This is generaly done using smoke or an other type of vapour. The test must be done every year as face shape can cange. You must also be clean shaven in the area where the mask seals. A quick test for getting a good seal is to remove the filters and cover the holes with the palms of your hands, (light pressure) and breath in. If the mask sucks into your face without leakage you are getting a good seal.

Sounds like you may be allergic to oak. Have you tried any other woods? (besides Cedar which is one of the worst allergy inducing woods)

Quote Originally Posted by James Phillips View Post
    Get a positve pressure powerdd respirator. If that does not fix it nothing will....
    I agree. I have a Triton, which was not very expensive and works well. I find it no more uncomfortable than a respirator. I mostly use it when I'm creating a lot of dust or working with nasty woods, but wearing it all the time wouldn't be so bad.

One advantage of a powered respirator is that it keeps dust out of your eyes, as well as your lungs. If you have allergies, that could be important.

Cary

Thank you very much for your advices and references.

Warren,
    this respirator looks good but still considering other options.

Hank,
    you are right, if I still inhale woodust it comes in some miniscule amounts. Already scheduled a doctor's appointment.

Todd,
    we are colleagues, I did construction work for 6 years, inhaled a lot of dust and chemicals. It never bothered me before. Now it is my time to cry.

Mike,
    actually I do this test but not sure how to interpret the result. I cover the filters openings and try to breathe in.
    It does create some vacuum but some amount of air still penetrates between face and rubber. I thought it was acceptable because the vast majority of air would take the path of the least resistance and go through the filters.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. Should it be absolutely air tight?

Greg,
    not sure. Once I've bought a truckload of chinese chestnut and it did hurt me too. It looks like pine has lesser effect. I've never tried any exotics.

James and Cary,
    I do agree that powered respirator is the ultimate solution. About Triton I'm not sure because it doesn't supply enough air and it is easy to overbreathe.
    I have similar one Trend Air. Thinking about Breathe Easy
    but it cost a lot of money, so I'm kind of hesitating. My wife is already upset about spending 2k on dust collection.

On the subject of allergies, they can get very serious. I took aspirin my whole life until age 32, then one day took two and wound up in the emergency room with anaphylactic shock. Thousands of hives and couldn't breathe. Shot me up with epinephrine and benadryl then I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Heart pounding, legs and arms jumping all over the place, worse experience I have ever had. Now I am allergic to all anti-inflammatory drugs. Be darn careful and get checked out, the next reaction could be a really bad one.

Andrew...very sorry to hear about this...its obvious how bad you want to continue working with wood. I agree with the poster above about sensitizing your body through repeated exposure. Then, we get older, everything breaks down, and the body starts reacting violently towards these allergens.

I had the same problem with Chlorine....now, I can't even wash my hands in city water without a severe reaction. It's turned my life upside down, just like you are experiencing

I am not too sensitive to the common woods I use, however, in the past year, I started using a powered nasal irrigator, 3 times a day, it only takes a minute, and I am totally amazed what our sinus canals will collect, even when in a relatively dust free environment. I once filtered the out outflow of water coming from my nostril with a coffee filter, and I could immediately see the cause of my nasal irritation when in the shop.... although, I never reacted like you do....yet... it may be too late for you as your body is still sensitizied to these woods, but it certainly can't hurt to try, you may get some relief. Best $120 I ever spent.....

http://www.amazon.com/Grossan-Hydro-...2055357&sr=8-1

It seems removing what dust has collected in our nasal passages after we leave the shop is a prudent measure, as sometimes it takes many hours or days till the dust particles break down and get absorb into our blood streams. It's even helped with my allergies also.

I next plan to get the new Airshield from Trend, very nice design. I also learned to alter how I work with wood to prevent dust.... I once spoke with Bill Pentz, and he really rocked my world.... very sad story. He is very generous person to speak with so many of us...he has taught me a lot, specially, to vent the cyclone OUTSIDE!!

Who would have thought 50 years ago that wood dust can be so dangerous. Yet, many people have been in wood dust for many years with no apparent issues. Sam Maloof is 93 and still making guest appearances, so it shows are bodies all react differently to certain allergens. Some people smoke till they are 100, others die from lung cancer in their 40's. Just can't tell.... Keep us posted with your progress, best of luck....

What Hank said...some people can get over sensitized to wood dust. My locksmith is an example...he can no longer do any kind of woodworking, and he was a carver. Any fine dust from nearly any species will set him off and not just from breathing, but also contact. (he wears long sleeves and sometimes gloves when drilling a wood door for example)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...