Thread: Blanket chest hinge help

Blanket chest hinge help

Ok so am I the first person that has built something without thinking about the hinge placment first? Hope not.
    Here is the question I Have a simple chest with squared legs and panels in between, I did not think about the placment of the hinges prior to making the plan and now have a delima of the overhang and hinge placment. I think I will need some sort of offset hinge or side mounted spring hinges that will lift back when raising. Here is a diagram the overhang is a little shy of 1/2 " over the legs the thin line is the top. The legs are 1 7/8" squared.
    Any Ideas welcome
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are not the only one, I did the same thing. I caught it before glue up, and just resawed the legs. Sorry I can't help you with the hinges.

I would use a spacer block on the back to shim out as far as necessary. I would imagine that is the common approach - heck it's the back, all sorts of things go on on the back of furniture . That way you can use whatever type of hardware you like or fits the style instead of being limited by some specialty item (if such a thing even exists).

Good luck,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Watkins View Post
    I would use a spacer block on the back to shim out as far as necessary. I would imagine that is the common approach - heck it's the back, all sorts of things go on on the back of furniture . That way you can use whatever type of hardware you like or fits the style instead of being limited by some specialty item (if such a thing even exists).

Good luck,

Dave
    This was my original thought also but then got to thinking there must be some sort of hinge that would lift and offset also.
    Larry

Something like this Larry?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=246

Blog Entries
    I think the spacer block makes the most sense but . . . Don't know your actual dimensions (in 3D) but this might do it. There are other variations. Check Blum's site(?)

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?O...Select=Details

http://www.rockler.com/tech/28910.pdf
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler