Thread: Wood Sealer In Bulk?

Wood Sealer In Bulk?

I am in the process of going full time with woodturning, and I am going through gallons of woodsealer at a premium price. A professional woodturner said he used to be able to get it in huge drums, but not anymore. Not that I really want 55 gallons at a time, but has anybody heard of such a thing? I know Craft Supplies has 5 gal. buckets, but it's still not really a discount after shipping. Thanks.

Should be able to get anchorseal from UCC in bulk and I believe you can also get the Baileys stuff in bulk. I know at least 5 gallons from Baileys works out to be about 12-13 per gallon.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Matt,
    Our club ordered a 55gal drum of the Anchorseal. Including the shipping, it worked out to $7-8/gal. If you belong to a club, try to order it by the drum for a better price. Your local club may still have some from the last purchase.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 10-12-2007 at 12:53 AM.

Matt

Our club also orders Anchorseal by the 55 gal drum. They sell 5 gal pails as well. This is one of the best bargins around.

Terry

Matt you can still get Anchor Seal in 55 gallon drums and it is quite economical I think our club looked into it and even with the shipping it worked out to $8 a gallon. However we had problems with the logistics of moving a 55 gallon drum and never went ahead.

As Kevin mention Bailey's sells a sealer that is made by Valspar. I took a chance and ordere a 5 gallon bucket a while ago since it worked out to something like $12.30 per gallon with shipping to AZ. It is excellent stuff that I plan on getting again once I am out.
    http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdet...60455+01&catID=
    I think Anchor seal in the 5 gallon bucket worked out to about $16 per gallon in 5 gallon buckets with shipping (to AZ ordering direct from UC Coatings).
    Mike Vickery

I bought a 55 gal drum several years ago since I use so much. I had a tractor to unload the drum and then we tipped it up on a raised pallet just high enough to easily get a container below the tap. I put a 2x4 on either side to keep the drum from rolling off. If you go that way, be sure to get the antifreeze additive.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I just purchased a 5 gallon bucket of Anchorseal from UC Coatings and paid $57.00 ($11.40 per gal.) which included the shipping.

Just remember that the stuff can't get frozen...unless you buy the special version that handles the lower temps. Buying in a big drum poses that risk for someone living "up north" if you can't store it in a temperate location.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up Sweet Deal!

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Getting a drum sounds like a great option. Yes, freezing could pose a problem for me. I am working out of my garage in Grand Rapids, MI, and it doesn't have insulation....yet. But even so, I think I could figure something out.

As far as the club thing goes, tomorrow is the next meeting of the local chapter. I have not gone yet, but I know they get sealer at discount prices. I just was interested in lots of wax all to myself. Er...something like that. Anywho, I plan on going to the meeting (it's an hour away!!) and I most likely will become a member.

Thanks for all the help!!

Hutch

Matt, just tell them you want the antifreeze additive and freezing will not be a problem. It doesn't get terribly cold in VA (usually) but freezing has never been an issue here since I started getting the antifreeze added.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia