Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planing Long Boards

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael
    Thanks, Dan, I've been having the same problem, common with beginning Neanders according to my copy of "PlaneCraft" (which was first published by true Neanderthal's, I think). The book says joint a long board "as if you want to make it hollow", but didn't specify how you do that. I thought you were always supposed to take full strides. Try as I have to put pressure on on the toe at the start and heel at the end, I still take noticeably more material off at each end. Can't wait to try your suggestion.

When I work a long board for edge jointing, I work it dead flat and then take just a partial pass that covers the middle or center 2/3rds of the edge. That creates a very small 1/64th or less springing. That's all you need to create the hollowness. With our modern glues, this is no longer a big deal.

Also, when you work a long board it's ok to work the board in sections that don't require you to 'walk' the plane the entire length in a single stroke. Especially with a number 7 or 8. You can make a final light full length pass but it's not necessary.

You would be surprised at how accurate the human eye is at determining dead flat...especially with practice.. even my old tired eyes can spot a dip or a rise that your fingers can't detect and the human touch is supposed to be sensitive at a few thou.

Happy Shavings,

Terry

Let it rest and check it again

Kieran,

Donnie is right about making sure your board get good air ciruclation after you finish flattening one side.

Once you get one side flat to your satisfaction, and it sounds like your there, set it on edge out of the way overnight to let the wood settle. If its like most wood it will move and you will have reflatten it again hopefully not as much the second time. Once its flat and stable make your thickness marks around the edge and start getting it close to your desired thickness. I would not take it to your line on the first try because it going to move again and you will have to start over again. Each time it should need less and less tweaking. Sooner or later you will have a flat stable board. Well not always, I tried for two weeks to flatten a 14" mahagony board with no luck. It just would not stay flat.

Good luck and happy planing,

Greg