Thread: New Blade for Stanley 140?

New Blade for Stanley 140?

Do you guys know if anyone makes a blade for one? Thanks,
    Dennis

Ron Hock and Lie Neilson both make them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    Ron Hock and Lie Neilson both make them.
    Jim, I looked at the Hock web site and didn't see a blade for a 140. Does the Lie and Nielsen 140 fit the Stanley? I bought a LN replacement for my Stanley 112 and it was too thick to fit so I'm kinda gunshy about buying LN blades for stanley tools.
    Dennis

I would first try calling Ron Hock and see if he has one, which he probably does...it may just not be listed, and you have a better chance of his fitting your Stanley.
    If that doesn't work out you can try L-N. Their blades are thicker, but I have heard of others who have gotten thinner blades for older planes from him.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    Jim, I looked at the Hock web site and didn't see a blade for a 140. Does the Lie and Nielsen 140 fit the Stanley? I bought a LN replacement for my Stanley 112 and it was too thick to fit so I'm kinda gunshy about buying LN blades for stanley tools.

There's a special section on the L-N site for Stanley Replacement parts. Did you check there?

I have a Stanley 140 with a Bailey 140 blade. Too bad they don't they don't match but it works like a dream. I talked to Ron Hock and you're basically SOL. The small serations which engage the adjuster are the problem. I don't know how these were made on the original. You might be able to find an old Stanley blade and cut it at 45 degrees, I think some of the older block planes had the same fine serrations, but I'm no collector. Perhaps blade from a #60 might work, you'd have to ask the old tools people.

Good Luck

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Swindell
    I have a Stanley 140 with a Bailey 140 blade. Too bad they don't they don't match but it works like a dream. I talked to Ron Hock and you're basically SOL. The small serations which engage the adjuster are the problem. I don't know how these were made on the original. You might be able to find an old Stanley blade and cut it at 45 degrees, I think some of the older block planes had the same fine serrations, but I'm no collector. Perhaps blade from a #60 might work, you'd have to ask the old tools people.

Good Luck

Mike
    They're listed on the Lie Neilson site - under Stanley Replacement blades (at the very bottom of the products listing) - for $30.00.

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out.
    Dennis

Dennis and all

I have a Stanley #140 with a LN "Stanley Replacement" blade. It is a very nice blade and, with a few modifications, the #140 is cutting very well.

Essentially, the modification closes the mouth of the #140, which is a liitle too wide. All I did was to superglue a piece of approx. 1mm steel plate across the "frog" (at the mouth, under the blade). This raises the blade and closes the mouth.

Regards from Perth

Derek