Thread: Benchtop Rikon bandsaw-10"

Benchtop Rikon bandsaw-10"

I am considering the purchase of this machine to augment my big guy, a Laguna 18". The ceramic guides are fantastic, but the blade change dance is getting a bit old, and I need something for the small curvy/scrolly stuff.
    Thanks for your imput.

I have one, bought for the same reason. I have a MM16 for my "real bandsaw". If I had the space, I'd rather have a 14" saw for the curvy stuff. But so far, the Rikon hasn't let me down, it just doesn't feel very substantial, and the grooved table is kind of annoying. With a shop vac attached, it does a surprisingly good job of dust control. Some others here have the same model, and will no doubt chime in. I don't remember seeing any really negative reviews about it when I was looking.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

This may seem like heresy, but I just picked up the Craftsman 10" for $100. This is, as best I can discern, the exact same thing as the Rikon. I looked at the Rikon 10" at Woodcraft, and the only differences I saw were cosmetics and a slightly different table and fence.

~g

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Lyons View Post
    This may seem like heresy, but I just picked up the Craftsman 10" for $100. This is, as best I can discern, the exact same thing as the Rikon. I looked at the Rikon 10" at Woodcraft, and the only differences I saw were cosmetics and a slightly different table and fence.

~g
    I was going to suggest the same thing. The CM has the bonus of a cast iron table and a fence. Our WC wants $199 for the Rikon, while the Rikon made Craftsman is regularly $159 and goes on sale for ~ $100 pretty frequently. It gets favorable comments.

21400.jpg 10-300n.jpg
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I also bought one of those $100 Craftsman band saws to complement my Mini-Max. It does every thing I need it to do.

I also have the 10" Craftsman which I got on the $100 sale. Best $100 I've spent in awhile. I find myself using it more than my 14". I've seen the Rikon and The Craftsman appears identical except for the already mentioned cast iron table, which IMHO makes it even better than the Rikon.

When did you get your CM. I just looked on their website and the 9" is $100 but the 10" is $159.99. ?

Thanks for the replies you guys. I looked hard at the Craftsman machine when it was on sale for $99. Went back again last week and the price had gone back to $159.
    I sometimes have trouble making up my mind on a tool, only to have the price go up or become unavailable. But the real reason I did not get this bandsaw is the less than favorable results I have had with past Craftsman purchases.
    I picked up the Rikon yesterday at the Raleigh Woodworkers Shop (Klingspors).

I have the Craftsman, and like it. Only complaint is that the table tilt adjustment is kind of flimsy and difficult for me to adjust. So I leave it fixed at 90 degrees.