Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Karma

Craftsman Karma

For about 2 seconds, I wondered whether I should go through with the transaction. I mean, if it was a mistake, then was I right to take advantage of it.

Then I remembered how these crooks took advantage of my mistakes over the years . . . Think about paying 21.5% interest over 8 or 10 years, and on a $3500 Compaq 286 at that! Then there were all those Craftsman drill/drivers, sanding gizmos, rototillers, weed trimmers, and mulching mowers, all long since sent to the landfill.

I figure this puts me about 2% of the way back into Karmic balance with these guys. Can't wait until they make another.

I too have been caught it the credit trap (buy now, pay later - fortunately those days are behind me) as well as purchased products that did not live up to my expectations. That being said I would have 2 questions. Were you not aware of the interest rate for credit? If you've had that many bad experiences with Craftsman products why continue to purchase them. Salespeople make mistakes and I don't think we should knowingly take advantage of it. Just my opinion, not a judgment.

Good questions. Reasonable questions.

Did I know the rate? Yes, I did. What I didn't know was what a 21.5% rate would do to me and my financial situation, and I didn't know about all the fees they were going to slip onto my bill. I was young, and inexperienced (i.e., ignorant), and Sears targetted me and many others for that reason. I didn't even have a job, for goodness sake. But they sure got me on the hook. From my perspective, they preyed on me and a whole generation of kids like me.

Why continue to purchase Craftsman? It took me a while to break free from my preconceptions, but eventually I did. I quit. It has been 8 years since my last drink from that well. That is why it took me a couple of days to take this one. But, I went home, read some reviews, and decided this deal was worth the risk. Hey, you never know. If it pans out, I may go back.

Re: salespeople. I guess I didn't see this as a salesperson's mistake. In fact, I didn't argue or make a fuss with anyone. One store did not have the low price posted, could not find it on the internet, and even though I had the printout, said they couldn't honor it. I didn't make a fuss, didn't argue in any way. I simply went to another store that I knew had the price posted. They double-checked the price against the item, and gave it to me. Everyone was courteous, and I was to them.

It was only when I got home that I read all the posts about corporate saying it was a mistake. But, not a saleperson's mistake. I think I can safely say that both salespeople made the right choice--not posted, not honored; posted, honored.

And now, after reading that it really was a mistake, I can not only feel great about getting a fantastic deal, but I can also slowly savor the sweet taste of revenge served cold.

Does that make me a bad person? Is this post just a way of soliciting the punishment I know I deserve? Hmmm.

Oh, well, back to drilling.

Danny,

If corporate made a mistake and posted a price, they were offering that product for sale at that price. The obligation is for them to honor the price until they remove the posting. IMHO you got a great deal and should enjoy it as such. Thank you for the explanation.

Rick

I can't stand sears. After purchasing an outboard motor 15 years ago for an inflatable, that never worked and was never repaired properly, I have stayed clear of their store and their crapsman line. I might have purchased the drill if one was needed and it was convienient, but I do not believe I would have battled for it knowing it was clearly a mistake.
    I am surprised how many people went a little overboard trying to cash in on what was clearly an error.

Strictly speaking, Karma has nothing to do with what is legal or illegal, and is non-transferable. So if you knowingly performed an action that you felt was taking advantage of another's mistake, regardless of their history, then you accrue the resulting karma.

The credit card folks have no doubt contributed to their own karmic accounts, but that doesn't let us off the hook.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Thompson View Post
    For about 2 seconds, I wondered whether I should go through with the transaction. I mean, if it was a mistake, then was I right to take advantage of it.

Then I remembered how these crooks took advantage of my mistakes over the years . . . Think about paying 21.5% interest over 8 or 10 years, and on a $3500 Compaq 286 at that! Then there were all those Craftsman drill/drivers, sanding gizmos, rototillers, weed trimmers, and mulching mowers, all long since sent to the landfill.

I figure this puts me about 2% of the way back into Karmic balance with these guys. Can't wait until they make another.
    Yes. But you were informed prey.
    What do they say about two wrongs?
    I don't really care about people getting a deal. That said if you feel ok about things then no justification is needed.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Craftsman Karma

Sears in the last couple of years with their "professional series" has come out with some "decent" products. I own their zip code table saw with Biesmeyer fence set-up and love this saw. Now that I have said that there are a LOT OF THINGS I HATE about Craftsman tools. Craftman tools are very propritary, their band saw is a good example. The blade lenght is different than 90% of band saw blades, you are stuck buying Craftsman saw blades for their saws,ect. Its ittle things like that that really erk me.

Denny,
    I have the CM tablesaw and I love it, too. With regards to proprietary parts for the bandsaw, I disagree. I have the 12" bandsaw and I really like it. The blades are 89 1/2" but you can order new ones from timberwolf, suffolk, etc. Just order a 89 1/2" blade and yer good to go. I'm very happy with my woodslicer blade. I just got a 12" CM drill press and so far am happy with it, too! Bottom line is I got the best value for the price IMHO. I've looked at the other brands in the same price range and they're not much different. In most cases I found they didn't offer as much. Just my .02.

Tell me agains whose fault it was to pay 21+% over how many years for a computer that is obsolete after about 4 years? Can't blame Sears for learning life's lessons the hard way, most of us have done that a time or two in our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Magbanua View Post
    Denny,
    I have the CM tablesaw and I love it, too. With regards to proprietary parts for the bandsaw, I disagree. I have the 12" bandsaw and I really like it. The blades are 89 1/2" but you can order new ones from timberwolf, suffolk, etc. Just order a 89 1/2" blade and yer good to go. I'm very happy with my woodslicer blade. I just got a 12" CM drill press and so far am happy with it, too! Bottom line is I got the best value for the price IMHO. I've looked at the other brands in the same price range and they're not much different. In most cases I found they didn't offer as much. Just my .02.
    Richard,

Don't get me wrong, I own a 14" inch craftman bandsaw and it takes a sawblade that is 99 3/4", that is not a normal blade lenght. Delta does not make one that lenght. So it forces me to keep a couple of blades on hand, thats all I was trying to say. There are a lot of companies that will make a 99 3/4 inch blade but there is only one machine that takes one....The Craftsman 14" professional series bandsaw.

They already told you, but you apparently did not understand.
    The store name says it all. Sears....as in burns....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barnett View Post
    They already told you, but you apparently did not understand.
    The store name says it all. Sears....as in burns....
    Its all in the name.............LOL

Paul,

I guess I'm saying Sears knew what they were getting me into a lot more than I did. My fault, but theirs too. I mean, taking it to the extreme, is there anything wrong with being a loan shark, as long as you inform your customers of the rate? If I took a loan out that resulted in my legs being broken, it would definitely be my mistake for having taken out the loan, but, would the thugs have any culpability?

Or, knowing what I know, what if I started loaning money to kids at 21+%?. That would definitely make me a bad person, wouldn't it?

Maybe we both--Sears and I--were at fault. I'm cool with that. They certainly weren't innocent.

By the way, I just drilled out my first few mortises. Sweet. Maybe they'll make me a believer, yet.
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 10-16-2007 at 12:00 AM.

This will be a little off topic, but here goes. Sears makes offers with their credit cards on par with nearly all other cc companies. I do feel the problem partially lies with nearly predatory practices of offers to college students/young adults, but also in the fact that many college students lack a firm grasp of "making money," "paying bills," being "financially responsible," and the actual cost of living. Whether this fault is within our school system, parenting, or lack of initiative in young people I don't care to argue.

Many kids go to school college without ever having to pay actual living expenses. Even when they take out student loans, they see only numbers on paper that they'll worry about later. What our society doesn't like to tell college students is that degree in sociology or history may not get you a career that will pay your student loan bill at the end of those 5 years (Current average). For some reason Americans seem to have a phobia of engineering and mathematics. I wish my high school counselor would have told me some of this stuff-and I guess he well might have, but I was 18 and knew everything .

And everyone will tell you the secret (Or one of them) to financial well being is living beneath your means. That's easier to say as you make more money. When you've just graduated, have cc debt and student loans coming due in a few months, and are likely also out there trying to find a job for which you have little experience, it becomes a little tougher. Add in a family, mortgage, and vehicle costs and it can become a 20 something's worst nightmare; especially when you find your "dream job" and then find out your pay isn't quite what you expected. You punch the numbers and find out it's actually costing you more money to live than what you make-worsening the viscious cycle.

End of rant, mods feel free to delete since I now realize I went a little crazy here...