Thread: Turning classes in/near Forsythe Cty, GA

Turning classes in/near Forsythe Cty, GA

I am trying to help a young man with an interest in turning. My nephew recently visited me and got really interested in turning. He lives in Forsythe County, GA - and if anyone has suggestions for beginner turning classes in that area I would like to pass them on to him and his dad. I assume Rockler and Woodcraft probably offer classes, but in the Atlanta area, there must be others as well. Maybe there is a turning club that has classes? How about it Atlanta area turners - can you help me? Thanks.

Tom,

I can never remember if Forsythe County is the north or the south side of Atlanta. Anyway two ideas:

Check out Highland Hardware, its in the Virgina Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta, east of downtown. I am pretty sure they offer instruction.

Or contact Nick Cook in Marietta. He is an outstanding instructor especially for beginers. If he can't help I am sure he would provide references for other good mentors in your area.

Good Luck,

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

check the listings on the AAW site for clubs in that area. Even if they can get classes at rockler/woodcraft haveing a club gives you an ongoing source of information and inspiration.

Give Highland Woodworking a call. They have a lot of classes. Also, Rockler, Woodcraft.
    Have a look at The Dogwood Institute of Fine Woodworking also. They are up in Alpharetta. It's a fun place, great environment and great instruction. They are starting turning classes.
    All of those would give great ideas on where to start.

Maybe the best place to start is www.gawoodturner.org (the georgia association of woodturners). They meet every 3rd Thursday evening at Highland Woodworking. It's free and I'm sure he would receive a ton of first hand knowledge. Good luck to him!

I live in north Forsyth County (that is the one north of Atlanta, the city of Forsyth is just above Macon). I've looked at the AAW website and there is a turning club in Gainsville. but the website appears to be dead except for the main page (last updated in 2006).

Its only about a 20 minute drive down to the Woodcraft store in Alpharetta / Roswell area, unless its rush hour. Then its about a two day drive. The have good folks there.

Highland Hardware is a trek from the Cumming area on the other hand, about an hour drive (without traffic).

There are always class at Woodcraft. Their website has links to the local store and class schedules.

On another note, I noticed that the original subject line reads Forsyth City, but your main text reads Forsyth County.

If he is around Macon, I'm not sure what is available.

nathan

Woodcraft off Hammond Drive will be the closest location with classes. A new Woodturning club just started there and meets tonite at 7:00. There are a number of turners in the group from Forsyth.

The Dogwood Institute also has some classes. www.dogwoodwoodworking.com
    God is great and life is good!

Nick Cook is down that way and though I haven't met the man, I hear he's a really nice guy and knowledgeable. His site is http://www.nickcookwoodturner.com/ and since it's a young person that's interested, I'd contact the AAW for some help as well. They're promoting helping young people get interested in turning pretty aggressively. There may be some scholarship dollars available.

(I'm not affiliated with Nick. I just know he's down that way.)
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 10-17-2007 at 11:31 PM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill