Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop construction rant

Smile

I also have seen the rediculous requests building inspectors have made. But since that is well covered I wanted to comment on your choice of T-111 for your walls. In our area, T-111 is very rough. Even with a top notch duct collection system you will have some airborne dust which will be tough to wipe off the T-111. I would go with something smoother.
    Just a another thing for you to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Maple View Post
    In our area, T-111 is very rough. Even with a top notch duct collection system you will have some airborne dust which will be tough to wipe off the T-111. I would go with something smoother. Just a another thing for you to think about!
    Argh!!

I chose T-111 because:
    (a) it's easier to install than drywall [I really hate taping/mudding]
    (b) I felt it could hold fasteners better when mounting stuff

I've seen people use OSB, but I hate the look. I can get 3/4" cabinet plywood for about $10/sheet more than the T-111 (need 18 sheets), but that seems like massive overkill. A lot of the other plywood I can get is CDX or some other outrageously-expensive-and-ugly-for-interior-work stuff.

Maybe I'll just break down and use tin foil. Cheaper, reflects the light well, and easy to replace!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Thanks

By the way, folks, many thanks for letting me rant. I'm not much happier about everything, but I'm resigning myself to a plan and will likely modify at a later date. I still haven't decided on whether or not to deal with city hall (I think they've forgotten about me), but LOML seems to think it's better to deal with them than deal with a potential home buyer at a later time. Now it's just money. Then it's money, hassle, and blood pressure. (It would be my work they would question, after all.)

I'm thinking I'll get the wall framing done first, then do the floor, then put the walls over the floor so the overlap covers the expansion gap. It also means I get to stand up for a while, as I'm not looking forward to the knee pain that will come from installing 25 sleepers with shims.

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Half my shop is clad with T1-11 and I've been quite pleased with it. If you like the material, I see no reason for not using it. My only mistake was using the thinner version...I didn't know any better 8 years ago...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Some where between Buffalo and Rochester NY
    You want a real kicker? The smal hick town I live only has one electricain to run for for inspector, so he gets to do the electrical and then come back and charge for a inspectoin.

Owning a house is like becomeing a slave, the work is never done and you never get paid for it. Just headaches and the other half increasing the list of things to get done. Hopefully you will get to a point where you can see some light at the end of the tunnel. In my case I have three list of things that need to be done The wife's list for the aparment we live in, The mother in-law for the resturaunt( she owns the building) and the building inspector, when he makes his yearly inspection and finds things that have to be fixed asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Half my shop is clad with T1-11 and I've been quite pleased with it. If you like the material, I see no reason for not using it. My only mistake was using the thinner version...I didn't know any better 8 years ago...
    Jim,

What do you view as the problem with the thinner version? I haven't decided, but was leaning toward it, figuring I'd be hanging cabinets from studs, anyway, and saving $10/sheet.

daniel

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lane View Post
    What do you view as the problem with the thinner version? I haven't decided, but was leaning toward it, figuring I'd be hanging cabinets from studs, anyway, and saving $10/sheet.
    It's very "wavy" across the sheet and would have been better installed with horizontal strapping to keep it flatter. But that would have reduced my shop size further...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...