Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw outfeed table question???

Question Table Saw outfeed table question???

I want to build an outfeed table for my saw similar to Jim Becker's as show on his website. However, my garage...errr.. shop does not have a level floor, and all of my tools have to be on wheels so LOML can park her car in the shop... errr. garage when I am not working on a project. So, what happens is that typically my TS (G1023) is not always in the exact same location. So my fear is that the legs on the fold away table will need adjusting every time. So, I have two solutions I would like advice on:

1. put an outline of the table saw position on the floor (either tape, or even paint) so that the saw returns to almost the same spot every time. (easiest solution)

2. Do not use legs that actually go to the floor. Possibly somethine like this:

Worry with this is that it will be too heavy and make for a tippy situation.

Thanks for the advice,

-dan

Dan,

My outfeed table swings out of the way when I don't need it and has the folding legs. Since my floor wasn't level either, in the bottom of the legs I drilled a hole and used a T-nut (1/4-20). Then I just treaded a long 1/4-20 bolt into the bottom which lets me adjust the height. The T-nut lets you turn the bolt with your hand. Good luck
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dan,

Here are some pictures of mine. I just made it simple.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dick,

That is real nice, simple, and does the job! The adjustability is pretty simple, too. How far to the right of the blade did you extend that outfeed table?

Don,

You could always make your legs adjustable like Dick did with the levelers or you could make the legs themselves adjustable. My shop...err, garage has the same issue as yours. Right now, I use my workbench (also on wheels) as an outfeed table but I don't always find it as convenient as I thought I would. I may well go the fold down outfeed way.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-06-2004 at 2:14 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    How about just mark the spot where the legs of the ex table will go?
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-06-2004 at 3:38 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Since I haven't added this to my table saw (keep holding off since I know I'm getting a new one some day...), I may be wrong, but I don't think having your outfeed table super level is really important. I think you just want the outfeed table to 1) transition from the table saw without hanging up the material and 2) keep the matrial under control moving in the correct direction (i.e. not sloped significantly to the right/left/front/back). I'd guess that most of the time an outfeed table that met these criteria in one spot in the shop will meet them in a slightly different spot. And if it didn't, a couple turns of bolts in the legs would do the trick.

But I could be missing something.
    Dan

There are three ways to get something done: Do it yourself, employ someone, or forbid your children to do it.
    -Monta Crane

Tyler,

I think it would be easier to mark where the TS goes, as the table will be folded away when the TS is in motion. If the TS is on spot, the legs should be as well, but I guess I could mark everything as needed.

So no comments on building the other style? Too top heavy is what I am thinking??

-dan

I have the HTC outfeed rollers on my PM66 and things aren't tippy when ripping 12' long 8/4 maple or 3/4" 4'x8' plywood; stability isn't a problem.

Chris,

I have 54” cut capability to the right of the blade. I ordered the 44” extension table and mobile base from Grizzly. The instructions said to remove the right hand cast iron wing and bolt the extension on using existing holes. In getting the mobile base ready I noticed that I would have to cut off the extension bar that goes out to the far right hand side of the table. Since I would have to cut anyways and I really hated to remove the cast iron wing, I just left it on and made the base fit, I only had to modify the adjustable legs to fit but it works. The table sticks out past the rails but that just gives me more surface to work with.

Dan,

You are right. The table doesn’t have to be level at all; it just needs to support the wood as it comes off the saw. As long as the out feed is below the surface of the saw it works fine. I think mine is 3/16” below the surface of the saw. Nothing hangs up with 8’-12’ boards coming off the saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Dan,

I like Dick Parr's set up a lot. I have seen many versions of that and they all seem to suit the owner.

I bought Rocklers hardware kit for the ext. and put my own table and legs on it. It is a nice big work space but a lot to wrestle with if I want to move it, adjust it. or take it down for some reason.

My house and shop are getting a make-over right now and it is a process with "ever-change".

Good luck! and keep us posted.

If you have a cabinet saw you have plenty of weight holding it down.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 02-06-2004 at 4:01 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Dick,

We finally get to see your great shop. You have been teasing us with little pics here and there.

Thanks for sharing.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

Thanks Tyler,

I have been waiting for the shop tour link that someone noted was going to be set up and post pictures then.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Parr
    Thanks Tyler,

I have been waiting for the shop tour link that someone noted was going to be set up and post pictures then.
    Yea me too Dick.....but I went ahead and updated my shop tour on my personal web site since I have changed the shop around some since I installed the cyclone, added the Performax and cleaned up my lathe area as well as removing the old lumber storage area for my drill press and router table.

Thanks for posting a few pics of your shop. Looks really nice.!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks Dennis,

I need to get out and clean it up and take some new pictures with the tool covers removed

I have changed a couple of things since the last time I took any. It's just that everything looks congested now.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Make the bottom of the feet adjustable. You will be much happier with a solid table over the rollers...it's useful workspace when you need it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...