Thread: Delta vs. Craftsman vs. Grizzly vs. etc

Delta vs. Craftsman vs. Grizzly vs. etc

I am in the market for a jointer. A decent 6" jointer fits my budget so I have looked at Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, Rigid and it occurred to me, and I confirmed this with photos, that it looks like the meat and potatoes of these jointers came from the same mold. Now they may have a different motor as a major functional difference, and the bases are certainly the major cosmetic difference. Other slight differences are color and knob style. My point, or question is: Are these really just ultimately the same jointer with a different brand sticker on them. I don't just mean they look similar, I mean they look as if they came from the same mold or copy of the same mold. Look closely at the photos. Get beyond the color and knob styles and I think you will see what I am seeing.

It occurred to me that a big difference, if these are the same, would be service and support.
    Last edited by Luke Pederson; 10-17-2007 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Further thoughts

Yes, with some exceptions there are really only a few different ones out there. Knobs, motors, switches, and sometimes cutterheads are the biggest differences. The major difference between the ones that are made in a different factory from different molds are fences.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Pederson View Post
    I am in the market for a jointer. A decent 6" jointer fits my budget so I have looked at Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, Rigid and it occurred to me, and I confirmed this with photos, that it looks like the meat and potatoes of these jointers came from the same mold. Now they may have a different motor as a major functional difference, and the bases are certainly the major cosmetic difference. Other slight differences are color and knob style. My point, or question is: Are these really just ultimately the same jointer with a different brand sticker on them. I don't just mean they look similar, I mean they look as if they came from the same mold or copy of the same mold. Look closely at the photos. Get beyond the color and knob styles and I think you will see what I am seeing.

It occurred to me that a big difference, if these are the same, would be service and support.
    The beds of most jointers are the same or nearly the same. The differences usually come in the fence and handwheels, location of power switch, etc.. As you know they all do the same thing, spin a cutter head and shave wood. One issue is the blade holder and how they are adjusted and aligned. This too doesn't vary alot.

I would suggest that you check craigslist in your area for jointers. Many folks buy these machines and use them very little and beyond a motor problem its really hard to hurt one of these beasts. About a year ago I purchased a Harbor Freight 7" jointer from craigslist for $100. It was used but never used, IOW brand new. Its not top of the line but with some tinkering on the adjustments it now joints and flattens boards with the best of them. The key is proper alignment of the blades and the input/output tables.

The Rigid jointer gets good reviews. The only bad comment I have seen is that it sits a little low for some folks. Good Luck!

I have the Ridgid jointer. I have two issues with it:

1. Way too light. It gets tippy when I joint something even remotely heavy.

2. Too small. I got a 6" jointer, but I've been very limited by it. I'd be less limited by a 8" jointer (it seems like all the panels I have to face joint are 7") but I'd rather go even larger than that.

3 (did I say 2? I meant 3), same problem as most inexpensive regular jointers: changing knives is a royal pain. There's no cutterhead lock to keep the head up at top dead center and setting is really fiddly. After doing this a couple times, I decided just to get a spiral head (not too expensive, not carbide). Cuts are somewhat cleaner but knife changes are a boatload easier.

Some people have more patience and time than me. When I have 2 hours available to work in the shop, I'd rather not spend one of them changing knives.

Pete

All of those tools should be functional once setup properly. Note that Delta offers two stationary models...the JT360 has a smaller motor, an open stand, and a lighter duty fence support compared to the others, but the 37-275 (aka 37-195) is a nice machine.

Go with whichever makes sense for you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

6" Jointer

I own the Steel City Tool Works 6" Deluxe Wedge Bed Jointer.

Longest bed of all the jointers that I could buy readily at 68". It has been a joy to own and use and I would not trade it for any other jointer.

They have a $100.00 mail-in rebate going on until 03-31-08.

Take a look at this one.
    Dave Laird
    D and N Specialties (Laser Engraving)
    Pro Sales for Woodworker's Supply in Albuquerque, NM

Same tool?

Thanks Dave, I checked them out and found a dealer about two hours from me. Do you know if Steel City does mail order?

And back to my original point. If you bring up the photo of that jointer
    http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...y=7&tool=40615
    And in another browser bring up Grizzly's comparable one
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0526/images/0
    They are virtually identical. Not similar, but identical as in they are made by the same mfg probably in China or Taiwan, just painted grey vs. green.

I see that the steel city one had an 8" longer infeed bed though. If you look at their other lines you will find that some are exactly the same.

So what I am getting at is are they really all the same? If I buy an expensive one it seems I need to look at what makes it expensive such as better head. I should look at if there are indeed items that make it worth the price and that is is just not the name that makes it more expensive.

To simplify things are companies such as Grizzly, Delta, Jet, Rigid, Craftsman, etc... just "Brands Names" rather than actual manufacturers?
    Last edited by Luke Pederson; 10-17-2007 at 5:31 PM.

I have the rigid jointer and am really happy with it. I like the stand because it offers good dust collection and seems very sturdy during normal use. Now, it Is a bit tippy when you are pushing sideways on it, so don't do that. It may sit a bit low for some but I'm only 5'7" so it's just right for me. I guess the other reasons I chose it over the others was that it was on sale for $350 minus 10% for a coupon I got off the website, it came with a lifetime service agreement, and It looks good sitting next to the rigid planer I got on the same trip which was the same price with the 10% discount. Speaking of the Rigid planer, there's a new three cutter head model out this year! Anyway, the manual and directions were very, very good. If you want the coupon, go to the Home Depot website and fill out the new homeowner coupon form and they will send it to you. Also, if you want the lifetime warranty on Rigid powertools, get the UPC on the box it comes in before you throw it away. Apparently you'll need that.

Another jointer you might be intersted in is the one from York. It looked pretty promising but shipping charges were a dealbreaker for me, the same as Grizzly.

Jointer

The Steel City Tool Works jointer has a 5 year warrenty and whenever I have had to call SCTW I have got a real person during normal working hours and have even talked to the Operation Manager, Howard Johnston, and the Vice President in charge of USA Operations, Scott Box (never talked to any of the honchos from any of the other companys).

SCTW does not do direct mail sales but there are manu companies that will deal with you. I work for Woodworker's Supply in their Pro Division.

SCTW owns their own factore in China for reasons that include being able to keep their inventions their own and not giving them to everyone else. They can also control the quality of the tools that they make better.

I think they have the best tools and service out there right now IMHO.
    Dave Laird
    D and N Specialties (Laser Engraving)
    Pro Sales for Woodworker's Supply in Albuquerque, NM