Thread: My First Lathe

My First Lathe

Before this coming weekend is over I will be the owner of a new lathe.

It will be one of these 3
    Jet 1236
    Delta 49-715?
    Delta LA-200 with Extension

I am leaning towards the Jet. The reasons being that I dont want to have to look at up0grading later is a biggy with me. Also I sometimes get a whim to do large thiings and strange things. Things that will likely hurt me but am willing to try anyway. Barring that kind of stupidity, (the Delta 715 is the unlikaly alternative to the Jet), I think I still need to be talked into that.

The resaon... Is there any reason I cannot get the same kind of utility out of the LA 200 with a bed extension as I can with the 1236? I know the Jet will be a power upgrade and has more capacity being able to turn outboard. The Delta LA 200 will allow me to get things like Chucks and what nots in additoin just based on the cost. WHere might I get limited by the Delta in this instance? Not including capacity. Is the power drop going to be a big deal with bowls or longer thicker spindles?

Lastly, which ever one I get, what is the one or 2 items I will want to add right away.. I already have 3 sets (all gifts) of gouges and the like..

Anticipation sucks.
    A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet.

My next tool will be the last tool I ever need!

You probably should post this in the turner's forum rather than the Neanderthal. But in any case, the Jet 1236 is more of a beginner's lathe than a "last" lathe. The major problems are that it only has "steps" of speeds and the speed difference between the first two speeds is too large. Second, a 12" throw is not big enough if you're going to do bowls. Third, you'll need to add a number of upgrades. One is to replace the tool rest with a steel rest instead of the cast iron rest that comes with it.

It's also not that stable but you can put weight into the base to improve it.

I would recommend for a "final" lathe looking at one with electronically variable speed and a larger throw than 12".

But I'm not a turner. Post in that forum and you'll get a lot better suggstions.

If you still want a 1236, and you live near me, I'll sell you mine and I'll upgrade.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Aaccckkkk!!!

I knew something was wrong when the original post did not show up in Turners.

Please everyone else.. dont respond. let this one die. . Thanks though.

Anchor
    A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet.

My next tool will be the last tool I ever need!